Power Pack Install Questions

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a new OMC Power Pack for my J200STLCEB (1989 Johnson 200 GT)

It's pretty straight forward on the install. However, the OEM part comes with these cute connector boots on the yellow-black wires. Can someone tell me the intended correct way to use them? My assumption is I need the male end to connect them to. However, I don't have any of them and my motor didn't have any connected on the yellow-black leads from the motor side.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Your link is not to an image file. I see my own recent uploads to Photobucket!

Copy the "IMG code" for the picture you want to use and paste it into your post

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Unforuntately this caused yet another Popped Power Pack. Not sue why the link isn't working. But, I now have a new problem to share. So, today I installed the new power pack. I chose not to use those boots because i don't have the male side to the provided female.

Today, i installed the PP and the boat fired up imediately, everything seemed just perfect until I went to shut it down. I turned the key and one bank shut down only. With the key off the motor was still running on 3 cylinders. For a car or something with electronic ignition this could not happen. However, a simple system like this I suppose it can. As I understand the way it works. The yellow-black wires are connected to the ignition switch, key switch and shift limiter switch.

The ignition switch and the kill switch will kill both banks while the shift switch will just kill one bank to aid in going from Neutral to Forward/Reverse.

I'm assuming that all of this is related to the yellow-black wires/connections. I had three black wires coming off the wires harness that routed up from the shifter switch. One of these three is the ground and two are yellow-black wires. However, the yellow was no longer there. One of the two yellow was never disconnected so that was not a problem. This left me with two wires. 1.) Goes to the Yellow-Black from the Power Pack. 2.) Is a ground that fix's on top of the power pack. However, I don't know which one for sure. I reviewed both wires closely and pulled the heat shrink tube back to closely look for the other yellow-stripe. Based on this, I connected the wire that looked to be solid black.

I started the motor and you can see the video below that took place.

You will see the motor on multiple occasions bounce between 6 and 3 cylinders. It was doing this because I was turning the key off/on.

What scenarios can allow the motor to keep running on 3 cylinders when the key is turned off.