1979 9.9 Evinrude 10955B

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have this motor here with no spark on bottom cylinder. I swapped the wires from the CDI box to the coils and the problem moved with the wires, top cylinder quit, bottom had spark. Stator and trigger wires OHM'd within CDI electronics recommendations DVA voltage for Brown/Yellow, Yellow /Brown wires were OK, Black/White to White/Black were high at 2.5 volts, supposed to be .6. I figured the trigger was bad and pulled the flywheel off, guess what? I can't find a trigger.

I looked at the parts diagram and it shows one, but there is none under the flywheel. The parts diagram looks like there is a gap on the stator where the trigger would fit, but the stator on the engine has no gap. Is the trigger built in to this stator?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is the electric start stator completely encapsulated no serviceable parts. Did the CDI box check good 9 times out of 10 when you drop a cylinder it's the CDI box. If it is your trigger you have some options

#1 replace the stator new it's an NLA part but www.cdielectronics.com makes them.
#2 replace it with a used one.
#3 replace it with a newer style stator with the separate charging coils will need to make sure they use the same mounting plate as yours. Otherwise will need that too.
#4 just put the trigger and coil in from a non-electric start model and forego the battery charging, pretty sure they use the same mounting plate..

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It is an electric start, the cdi box is my second stop, I had had enough for today on it so I stopped before I got to the CDI box troubleshooting. I did get a box of spare parts with it that included a CDI box that I put on, that one got no spark at all. I really could not understand the CDI instructions for troubleshooting the orange wires on the box, but it was at the end of a long day. I'll take another shot at it tomorrow after I've been away from it for a while.

Thanks for the response.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks again, I looked at the cdi sight and looked up the box, the troubleshooting procedure is a little easier to understand when it is for the box itself. I'll dig back into it tomorrow.