float adjustment on 9.9hp

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
After installing float and I turn carb. right side up(float hanging down) what is the preferred position of it?I know the small tab on float can be bent accordingly.Just wondering if there is a set spec. for this or just eye ball it.I went from the old cork style to new style which is a bigger float.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
and when done blow air with the carb upside down.... no air should enter the carb

right side up...air should enter the carb freely

​* Iam assuuming you took it all out for cleaning

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
With the carb top inverted, set the float level with the edge of the inverted top. I just eyeball it.

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
I set it as described for when it is upside down,but when hanging down (normal operating position)that has an adjustment also by the little tab that hits the top of the main jet.think there must be a setting for how far it comes down .unless you set it so it does not hit bottom of bowl etc..

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I set it as described for when it is upside down,but when hanging down (normal operating position)that has an adjustment also by the little tab that hits the top of the main jet.think there must be a setting for how far it comes down .unless you set it so it does not hit bottom of bowl etc..
The float drop, measured from the base of the carb body to the bottom edge of the float should be 1[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]8[/SUB]" to 1[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB]"

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If the float valve is new, wire clip in place as appropriate, I would check for level and forget it. Problems with the preset float height are just not very likely. Adjust the mix, and run it -- see what you have.

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will do as soon as I get the impeller in hopefully after today..