Johnson 9.9 1981 Started a few times now will not start!!!

Johnson 9.9 1981 Started a few times now will not start!!!

• Fuel pump is the problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carburetor is the problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TrainerRed

Cadet
-I received an 81 Johnson 9.9 motor from my uncle that hasn't been run for a year or more. Wouldn't turn on.
-Found out there was a crack on the cover of the fuel pump, and replaced it. It turns on!
-Brought it out to the lake and it wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes max. I did some researching and thought it was a good idea to clean the carburetor and if the problem continued it was a bad fuel pump.
-Received my carb kit and proceeded with the cleaning.
-MOTOR DOES NOT START NOW!!!
-I hear it wanting to turn on, but it won't... my pull start is faulty so I use some paracord to spin my flywheel.
-I can see some smoke coming out when I spin the flywheel with the paracord.
-It also sounds like it wasnts to start but doesn't.
-I had a friend help me press the primer bulb from the fuel tank while I try to turn it on with paracord and it sounds better. But does not turn on either.
-I try pulling the pull start a few times knowing it will not turn the motor on as my friend pumps the primer bulb. I stop pulling the pull start cord and transition to the paracord method.
-Trying to turn the motor on with the paracord now and it sounds really close to turning on. But does NOT! :(

Observations: Trying to turn the motor on with the pull start will not work better than using paracord around the flywheel.
-However, it sends more smoke out some holes behind the motor.
-With a combination of pumping the primer bulb, pulling the pull start cord a few times, and finally using the paracord to turn the flywheel gives the best and closest result for the motor to turn on. In fact it even started for at least a second but I couldn't react fast enough to switch gears and turn the handle to fast.
-Lastly I am thinking the sound the motor makes when attempting to turn it on with the paracord is working, but something isnt simultaneously and will not let it stay running. This is just an assumption.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! This is my first motor and boat so I do not know much but I have read a lot on the internet. Even read Leeroys rambling and took notes on what I could understand.

What do you think could be wrong?
I'm leaning towards buying a new fuel pump.

What should I do?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The primer bulb only fills the carb bowl. Once running the fuel pump takes over. So if primer bulb is filling the carb than it will have enough fuel to start. And if the fuel pump is bad it will just run out of fuel. When you cleaned the carb did you remove the slow speed needle? And if you did remove it did you reinstall it correctly? Have you checked the compression and do you have good spark?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard TrainerRed. Always nice to have new member here at iboats...

I read your comment, but I didn't read anywhere where you used a choke system to try and start your engine. If you have a choke, use it to help with the initial starting routine. Also, if you want to get fuel into the carb, mix up some 50:1 fuel oil mixture and use a little squirt bottle to spray in a little into the carb opening to see if that helps. Also when you can, post a picture or three of your engine and your paracord setup so we all can understand what you are doing. JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the flywheel key !!-------Post results of a compression test.----Lastly , does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more , yes or no.

TrainerRed

Cadet
The primer bulb only fills the carb bowl. Once running the fuel pump takes over. So if primer bulb is filling the carb than it will have enough fuel to start. And if the fuel pump is bad it will just run out of fuel. When you cleaned the carb did you remove the slow speed needle? And if you did remove it did you reinstall it correctly? Have you checked the compression and do you have good spark?
I did remove the slow speed needle. I have tried starting it from seating the needle all the way to lean and small turns all the way to rich. I was out pulling the flywheel with paracord for a few hours LOL!! About the compression test, I'm not that mechanical savvy so i don't really know how to do that. But the motor started up before I cleaned the carb so wouldn't that mean there is compression?

TrainerRed

Cadet
:welcome: aboard TrainerRed. Always nice to have new member here at iboats...

I read your comment, but I didn't read anywhere where you used a choke system to try and start your engine. If you have a choke, use it to help with the initial starting routine. Also, if you want to get fuel into the carb, mix up some 50:1 fuel oil mixture and use a little squirt bottle to spray in a little into the carb opening to see if that helps. Also when you can, post a picture or three of your engine and your paracord setup so we all can understand what you are doing. JMHO
I have tried opening and closing the choke every time I pulled the paracord. I haven't tried spraying anything inside the carb except when I cleaned it and sprayed it with carburetor cleaner. There are notches on the flywheel, I made a loop with some paracord and put the loop on the notch. I then wrap the paracord twice around the flywheel and give it a pull.

Edit-- Also thanks for the welcoming!

TrainerRed

Cadet
Check the flywheel key !!-------Post results of a compression test.----Lastly , does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more , yes or no.

I Don't know what a flywheel key is but I'm sure I already do not understand what it is... this is my first outboard and I have not had any other experience with marine motors before. I'm not that good with motors so i don't really know how to do a compression test :( lastly about the spark idk about the gapping but i bought new spark plugs (the recommended ones) and the spark is bright when I give it a pull (tested only with the pull start cord and not the paracord).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not trying to be funny, but you are pulling the cord the correct direction aren't you? Squirt some fuel mixture into the carb throat and see if that helps. Let us know what happens.

TrainerRed

Cadet
Not trying to be funny, but you are pulling the cord the correct direction aren't you? Squirt some fuel mixture into the carb throat and see if that helps. Let us know what happens.
Hahaha! I made that mistake a couple days ago. Pulling the cord the correct direction this time!! I will definitely try that and get back for sure. Thanks

Edit-- Will I first buy the fuel mix and mix the correct amount with gasoline and then place the mixture from a gas tank into the squirt bottle? How should I tackle this? Sorry real nooby at this motor boat stuff.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hahaha! I made that mistake a couple days ago. Pulling the cord the correct direction this time!! I will definitely try that and get back for sure. Thanks

Edit-- Will I first buy the fuel mix and mix the correct amount with gasoline and then place the mixture from a gas tank into the squirt bottle? How should I tackle this? Sorry real nooby at this motor boat stuff.

Well you wouldn't be the first person that tried to start the engine in reverse.

Just use any type little bottle to squirt some fuel mixture into the carb opening, then close the choke up and pull start. If it sounds like it fires, you could have either fuel pump issue or a carb float issue. Either one is easy to repair and fix. But try the fuel in the carb first and let us know what happens. It doesn't take too much to make it fire. So any way you can get some fuel in the carb will work. Even using a tablespoon can work. Just don't use it to eat with again...unless you really like 50:1 fuel. :eek:

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
...lastly about the spark idk about the gapping but i bought new spark plugs (the recommended ones) and the spark is bright when I give it a pull (tested only with the pull start cord and not the paracord).

Are you absolutely sure you didn't switch the plug wires when you changed the plugs? You'll still get a good spark, just not when it will do you any good.

TrainerRed

Cadet
Are you absolutely sure you didn't switch the plug wires when you changed the plugs? You'll still get a good spark, just not when it will do you any good.

After I switched out the old spark plugs with the new I was able to get the motor running. After cleaning out the carburetor and putting it back together and on the motor, it fails to start now.

TrainerRed

Cadet
Well you wouldn't be the first person that tried to start the engine in reverse.

Just use any type little bottle to squirt some fuel mixture into the carb opening, then close the choke up and pull start. If it sounds like it fires, you could have either fuel pump issue or a carb float issue. Either one is easy to repair and fix. But try the fuel in the carb first and let us know what happens. It doesn't take too much to make it fire. So any way you can get some fuel in the carb will work. Even using a tablespoon can work. Just don't use it to eat with again...unless you really like 50:1 fuel. :eek:

Ok! I switched out my fuel and got the 50-1 fuel mix going on. I tried squirting some straight in the carb throat. I opened the choke squirted little to plenty in the carb. I then closed the choke immediately and set up my paracord and attempted to give it a pull and no sign of improvement. Strangely after an hour or two of not touching the motor and going out to give it a pull has the motor running for about 1.5 seconds or less. I don't have the reaction time to jump and twist the throttle to fast. I noticed this last night when moping around. I would go out there after an hour or two and give it a pull and it sounds better. But will not sound the same way unless I leave it alone for an hour or two. If this makes any sense at all. Thanks for the 50-1 squirting idea, sadly did not show any signs of improvement. What do you think is wrong and what should I do?

TrainerRed

Cadet
Does the cam roller and the flat head screw and Allen key screw have any significance to this situation?

AlTn

Commander
go back to Leeroy's site and study the carb and timing section...note the carb roller relation to the timing cam mark when the motor is in the start position...with the motor in forward gear, as you twist the grip to wide open throttle, does the roller ride up to the highest part of the cam?..your starting procedure: just ignore those markings on the tiller handle...with the motor in neutral, twist the grip as far as it will go towards wide open, pull the choke closed, and try to start it..if no success after 4 pulls, push the choke off an wait a minute or two before you attempt to restart w/o the choke...a common error in putting the carb back on is to reverse the choke lever...if it's installed upside down, the choke plate won't fully cover the carb throat when it's pulled on

TrainerRed

Cadet
go back to Leeroy's site and study the carb and timing section...note the carb roller relation to the timing cam mark when the motor is in the start position...with the motor in forward gear, as you twist the grip to wide open throttle, does the roller ride up to the highest part of the cam?..your starting procedure: just ignore those markings on the tiller handle...with the motor in neutral, twist the grip as far as it will go towards wide open, pull the choke closed, and try to start it..if no success after 4 pulls, push the choke off an wait a minute or two before you attempt to restart w/o the choke...a common error in putting the carb back on is to reverse the choke lever...if it's installed upside down, the choke plate won't fully cover the carb throat when it's pulled on
I'll be sure to try what you suggested! I was curious if the screw holding the cam roller to the carb is supposed to be fully tight or not and also the screw that has an Allen key slot is supposed to be tighten down all the way or not as well.

TrainerRed

Cadet
Switched out fuel pump and it starts right up first try. First try meaning I have to use the pull start cord to pump it up and then use my paracord set up to start the motor.