1972 100 hp Johnson

tbrooks1015

Cadet
I recently picked up a boat with a 72' 100 hp Johnson on ithe with the hydroelectric shift. I replace the gear lube in it with Mystic jt-4 High performance lube but then I seen that it needs Type C. Is this gear lube an adequate replacement? It says it is a replacement for Type C, but am unsure if it's still suitable for the hydroelectric.

tbrooks1015

Cadet
Thanks, but I already read up on all that. I know there's other options out there as well because I've been searching this site. No one has the omc lube near me. Was looking for something I could pick up locally. I've read that I can use Dexron ATF fluid, which is available and I believe I can use the quicksilver high performance gear lube with the yellow label which I did find locally. I was just wondering if anyone knew about the Mystik stuff before I go buy more lube and drain it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Whatever you buy, look for reference to use in electric shift gear cases. Viscosity will be similar to ATF, thinner than 85/90 wt. lube.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Type C(speced Electric Shift) and BRP Premium Blend are about it. Mystic jt-4 High performance oil is not for Electric Shifts. The ATF option was stated in the manuals as for "emergency only". I have never seen a clarification as to what an 'Emergency' was. I wouldn't use it if I had an Electric or Hydro-Electric shift

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Confusion arises because "Type C" was used in ALL outboards made by OMC regardless of size or shift during that time period. Yes, the 80-90 gear oil will replace it in all but the electric shift models which still specify Type C or BRP Premium Blend.

Having said all that, the Hydro-Electric is more forgiving than the earlier spring-clutch electric shift models. What you've put in there probably won't damage it, but might cause shifting problems under certain conditions.

BTW, iboats has Type C.