1987 Evinrude 9.9 kill switch wiring

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all! Feel dumb. Really dumb. Need a new kill switch on the end of the tiller handle so my young boys can safely drive the 14' aluminum. Looking under the hood, cant see for the life of me where the two wires go. The old ones have been snipped off. About 8" is exposed under the cowl. I don't see any signs of where they go.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Not sure where yours is cut, but one of the two wires should go to an amphenol connector that runs to the power pack, and the other should ground at one of the coil mounting bolts. Think I would first look for a loose or cut wire (or a single unused connector) coming from the power pack.

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks oldboat1. I got the new switch in and working. There was no evidence of the old wiring under a coil bolt or in the amphenol connector. New switch came with crimp on connectors. One for the coil bolt and one for the amphenol connector. There was an empty hole in the emphenol connector which corresponded with the black wire with yellow stripe on the other half of the connector. I soldered the ends on the wires and installed them. One on a coil bolt and the other in the empty connector hole. Works like a charm. Thanks again!

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Hey All! Used the 1987 9.9 all summer. Worked pretty good. Started to run not so good near the end of the season. I tried playing with the adjustment knob at the end of the tiller handle where the kill switch lanyard goes. Can anyone please explain what that knob does? I can turn it and turn it and can't seem to see what it does.

Thanks!

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
It's part of the stop switch assembly (kill switch)...the knob just rotates (freewheels) and does not adjust anything.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That's not quite correct. The knob, when operating, is a throttle idle stop (moved from the right underside of the pan on older models). Might provide more info on what the motor is doing or not doing. Fuel pump diaphragms wear out. Carbs can get clogged. Gas can get contaminated. Hard to say -- probably unrelated to the idle stop, though.

Safe bet is to start with spark test (adjustable spark tester) to see if the ignition is functioning right. Should also do a routine compression test to see what you have -- gives you a baseline, if nothing else.