1985 Johnson 8hp CDI question

donnie5336

Cadet
I've got a 1985 Johnson SeaHorse 8hp manual start engine (J8RCOB) and I have a question about the CDI box. The motor ran last year, but towards the end of last season it got sluggish, then hard to crank, then I couldn't get it to crank or run at all. I just got it out again to start to work on it and I have good compression and fuel but get no spark to either cylinder. My first guess was CDI power pack since I get no fire on either plug (tried new plugs and old plugs, no fire at all). Well I was going to order one but the part number that I removed is 582800. Everything I have looked up online says that the 582800 CDI has a 5800 RPM rev limiter and is for electric start engines. It lists a different part for my motor. So should I order what was on it before or one that it lists online?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Did you pull the black and yellow wire out of the plug first? That's the kill circuit - could be as simple as the kill button shorting out.

donnie5336

Cadet
Did you pull the black and yellow wire out of the plug first? That's the kill circuit - could be as simple as the kill button shorting out.
I haven't tried that but last year when I had it running last, my kill switch was hard to press and get to work, so I cut the wires with intention to put a new switch on and never did. I taped the ends off so I know they arent grounded on anything so I should essentially not have a kill switch now, correct? Or is there a chance it could still be shorting somewhere else?

Actually I know for a fact it ran like that last year because now I remember having to pull the plug wires to shut it off when I was last working on it. I'll still try that but I'm fairly confident it's not my kill circuit.

donnie5336

Cadet
I'll check the kill circuit again today to be certain, but my main concern is which power pack to order if it is indeed the power pack?

If you look at the two it lists here for my year model motor (helps if you narrow it to 1985, 8hp, 2 cyl):

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Power-...view_id.271399

It shows 113-2285 as a no limit pack replacement for manual start engines and shows a 113-3241 5800 RPM limit pack for electric start engines. The 113-3241 is the replacement part for the 582800 OEM number which is on mine. Do I order it? or do I order the one that says for manual start-no limit?

donnie5336

Cadet
582800 is the correct one for your motor according to evinrude..
Thanks for that. I didn't get a chance to look at it any yesterday but will today. If there's no problem with my kill circuit and I'm not getting fire at either plug, the most logical next thought would be power pack, correct? The motor didn't sit and was running fine before the problem started, so I don't see magneto pickup points being dirty or rusting etc. Anything else to check?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for that. I didn't get a chance to look at it any yesterday but will today. If there's no problem with my kill circuit and I'm not getting fire at either plug, the most logical next thought would be power pack, correct? The motor didn't sit and was running fine before the problem started, so I don't see magneto pickup points being dirty or rusting etc. Anything else to check?
Go to www.cdielectronics.com they have the test procedures for your ignition system. Be a good idea to do that before you buy anything.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Dirt does not affect the stuff under the flywheel.-----------It would be easy ( in my opinion ) to take readings on the charge coil and sensor coil.--------Can be done without removing the flywheel.--------------Now that stuff is very reliable under there as dealers do not take that stuff off when I pick up a parts motor.--------------Likely it is the powerpack.--------Part #'s for a powerpack will change for many reasons .-----One being the length and type of connections on it.------But basically they have been the same internally for many , many years. ----Many will fit from a 4 hp to a 2 cylinder 60 hp

donnie5336

Cadet
No Title

Ok I completely unhooked the kill wire from the plug, so I have determined it's not that. I'm thinking power pack. I used the troubleshooting sheet from CDIelectronics to test mine, but I want to make sure I understood the instructions correctly. I attached a screenshot of what it says. I tested these leads on the power pack plug (and to the black ground wire where it says black) and of all 5 it says to check, I only got a reading between the Brown/Yellow and Black/Yellow. Everything else read open. I also had a power pack from a parts 4hp motor and tested it also. Same thing only those two wires gave me a reading. I don't know if the power pack in that motor was good or not, I got it as a non-running parts motor so it could be bad also.

Attachments

• photo261578.PNG
    photo261578.PNG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1