Deactivated circuit ?

Jtgator

Cadet
1997 Johnson o/b 2 stroke 60hp.
Engine stutters on acceleration, idles fine...Took to local marina mechanic. Diagnosed a deactivated circuit, repair ticket states reactivated circuit.
I took the boat out after repair and it ran great for about 5 or 10 minutes then developed stutter again. I did not get a chance to talk to mechanic after repair.
Anyone know what a deactivated circuit means, cant find any explanation from Google.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well in my limited experience as a boater ( not a mechanic.... just a boater) for 50 years it sounds like mumbo jumbo :confused: talk and the mechanic should have been explicit

​in any event looks like your engine is deactvated again so better bring it back to the shop and ask him to be explicit......

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
That is far too vague. Mech may as well have written "something was broken."

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I agree it is far too vague of an explanation. A possible explanation is that the overheat circuit was grounded, activating SLOW which kills spark to part of the motor, SLOW kills spark to 1/2 the engine on the larger V4 and V6 motors. Not sure if you have it or not.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I don't have the answer either. But any time a "circuit" is mentioned, I would say it is pointing to the spark system. You could verify that part by running the engine and one at a time, remove each spark plug wire to see if the engine changes RPMs. If it does, then you know that cylinder was working. When you get to a cylinder that doesn't change RPMs when you remove the wire, that cylinder is dead. And that would verify a circuit not activated/ working. JMHO