97 Four Winns Fling: 115 OMC Turbojet not getting spark to cylinders 3 and 4?

78FordTruck

Cadet
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in iboats. The issue I am having is that I am not getting spark to cylinders 3 and 4. I have replaced all the coils and plug wires and I have also removed the flywheel and cleaned everything up but I am still not getting anything. I have checked grounds and wiring as well. The engine is a 115 OMC Turbojet. Any help would be much appreciated because I am very frustrated at this point.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have to ask.---------Is it no spark to 3 and 4 with the motor running on 1 and 2 cylinders ?

78FordTruck

Cadet
Engine wont even fire so im not sure. So I ran the spark test and 1 and 2 are getting good spark but nothing to 3 and 4.

interalian

Commander
How are you counting the cylinders for spark test? Viewed from the rear, the right top is 1, right bottom is 3, left top is 2, left bottom is 4.

78FordTruck

Cadet
Ok, from that information it would be cylinders 1 and 3 not getting spark. So its both cylinders on starboard side sorry for not having the proper info.

interalian

Commander
That makes more sense - could be a bad power pack on that bank. But do the diagnosis per boobie's post before throwing money at it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do some " no money spent " simple testing.------Have battery load tested.---Take starter apart for inspection too.

interalian

Commander
As you've removed the flywheel, be sure it gets properly torqued before you make further starting attempts.

78FordTruck

Cadet
I used an impact for the flywheel so do you know what it should he torqued to? Sorry i didn't put that info in my original post racerone. And as far as new parts go I have also replaced thermostats and headgaskets if that helps.

interalian

Commander
Crossflow V4 motors - 100-105lb/ft - need a flywheel holder to counter the torque wrench. Check the key is in (face is parallel to crank centerline, not parallel to the taper face). Make sure thre are no burrs on the tapers and there is no oil/grease. Clean with brake cleaner or similar non-residue cleaner.

Does your powerhead look like this?
IMG_0492_zpsk8r3qvzp.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
His powerhead looks like that but does have the bubble back / tuned exhaust as well.---When heads were off were the water diverters inspected / replaced ?-----These machines need to idle at about 1200 rpm for proper cooling too.

TurboJet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ah ha! There is more of us that exist! (TurboJet owners)

I have a spare power head with all the electronics, if you find out what it is, I may have the part I could sell to you. (They are just Johnson V4 parts anyway and most of the power head parts are readily available)

Do you have the service manual?

The section on the electronics is a great read, and the manual is a must for any turbojet owner. (torque specs, tips and tricks, ect ect)

Let me know, I can scan that section for you if you need it (hell, I could probably just digitize the entire FSM for you)..

78FordTruck

Cadet
Things have been busy for the past couple of months so I had to put the boat aside. I finally got to work on it and it was a bad powerpack so all is well with the Fling for now!