Johnson Gear Box question

Recently purchased an old power boat with a 1978 Johnson 115hp. Drained the gear oil to find it very milky. Upon inspection of the drain plugs there seem to be no seals. Both the top and bottom ports seem to have blue rubber insert that is grooved on the exterior surface. Is it possible that these are the old seals wedged deep into the gear box or is this a rubber coating on the gear box and the previous owner ran it without drain plug seals?

Attachments

• 20170325_143919.jpg
    20170325_143919.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
That unit was using a nylon sealing washer when it left the factory. Your picture looks like someone got really fancy with the silicone sealer but I think it's more likely that it's a sealing washer. The Mercury fiber washers will work and the general consensus is that they do a better job than the nylon ones.

Thanks guys. I thought it might be silicone as well but its too perfectly shaped. I did buy the BRP washers from the dealer. So I should try to remove whatever those blue seals are before installing the new washers?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That looks like a Merc washer but all I have seen are yellow, could but aftermarket copy.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
To be on the safe side do a pressure test before you fill it up with fresh oil!
That will tell you if it were the washers or it is leaking somewhere else, which is also a possibility.

Good luck, Peter