60HP evinrude with power trim, motor stuck up

jimmybillson

Cadet
hello all first time boat owner. I have a 95 60 hp evinrude motor with power trim. I accidentally let motor trimed way up overnight. Went to trim it back down and it doesnt move. My first though,battery is dead. currently trying to charge the battery. Is there any other ideas?? did i break the motor> anyway to manually lower motor?

Any help is greatly appreciated . Please reply. worried owner

jimmybillson

Cadet
update, I found the bleed vale and lower motor., but when I hook the battery up, motor automatically trims up, unless you push down button, the it stops. let it go and starts up agin.

jimmybillson

Cadet
60HP Evinrude Power trim - automatially goes up by it self

60HP Evinrude Power trim - automatially trims up by it self when connnected to battery.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Will the switch trim up and down? Guessing the trim switch or a relay is bad.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Merged both threads. It gets confusing to have two threads lon the same issue.

You need a wiring diagram for the trim system to trace what is applying constant power to the trim motor.

jimmybillson

Cadet
The motor trims up only by itself when connected to battery. I disconnected the switch on the motor and still trims up. It has a trim swich on the throttle control too. not sure how to take apart.

Attachments

• 20170325_112208.jpg
    20170325_112208.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

jimmybillson

Cadet
okay, i pulled the panel off at the bow of the boat where the trollong motor plugs in, disconnected one of the toggle switches and motor trims up and down buy the swtiches like it is supposed to, I guess it got wet yesterday with the rain. but like a dummy I didnt pay any attention to which wires were plugged i where. Red is power, blue is up and red is down. not sure what goes where though. any help? what size toggle switch do I buy amps wise??

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One afternoon while sitting in garage it started raining and heard power trim motor start running (down position) on Evenrude 88 spl parked outside. Had to disconnect battery to stop it. Later diagnosed problem as trim switch on control box. Now I keep control box covered to keep rain out.

wrench 3

Commander
okay, i pulled the panel off at the bow of the boat where the trollong motor plugs in, disconnected one of the toggle switches and motor trims up and down buy the swtiches like it is supposed to, I guess it got wet yesterday with the rain. but like a dummy I didnt pay any attention to which wires were plugged i where. Red is power, blue is up and red is down. not sure what goes where though. any help? what size toggle switch do I buy amps wise??

It doesn't have to be a heavy duty switch. It's only running the relays.
I'm not sure if this is what your asking, but on a standard toggle switch the power goes to the middle terminal and when you flip the switch up it energizes the lower terminal and visa versa.

jimmybillson

Cadet
It doesn't have to be a heavy duty switch. It's only running the relays.
I'm not sure if this is what your asking, but on a standard toggle switch the power goes to the middle terminal and when you flip the switch up it energizes the lower terminal and visa versa.

Thanks for the input