1987 6hp evinrude commercial won't stay in gear at high rpm.

Jzfp34

Recruit
Took this 6hp motor to marine mechanic to fix this issue. Stays in gear at idle or mid rpms. He went thru lower unit , everything looked great. Went thru linkage and tightened it back up. He thinks there is a part missing under the cowling. He said nothing was worn in the gears and they lock in as they should. He doesn't understand why it will not stay in gear/pops out of gear. Motor is in great shape besides this so really want to solve and save this motor . Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does the motor rev up smoothly at those high RPM ?-----------Does is feel like you hit something when it does this ?-----Have you tried another propeller as the hub could be slipping on yours ?----And lastly is the motor mounted too high ?

Jzfp34

Recruit
The motor runs smooth all the way thru. The motor is in a test tank at a shop. Haven't checked prop but I will ask mechanic if he did. I was given this motor and told about its issue. So I took it in to be serviced before ever mounting it on my boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like the hub is spun out of the prop. Easy enough to check - mark the prop nut and propeller with a line from a Sharpie. Run the motor and make it slip. If the lines are no longer aligned, you've got a spun hub.