1984 90HP Turns then locks up

Ok Guys I now have the Intake and crankcase taken apart and I found that the bottom rod bearing has basically disintegrated completely. I assume from oil starvation although another Evinrude mechanic said that it could be a plugged up carb. Either way, here is what I have so far...

https://goo.gl/photos/Tjufu6hoh998Tqpx6

I guess at this point I'm looking into pulling all the pistons, re-hone, new rod and wrist pin bearings, gasket set and carb rebuild. Anything else you guys can think of before I order the parts?

It looks as if the VRO was / is working due to oil gas mixture in the other cylinders. I'm not positive whether I want to disconnect this or just rebuild it. I like the idea of keeping it IF it works and will be reliable. My thoughts are to keep it and also keep enough oil to add to the tank case of an emergency. This way I would get the benifit of the VRO. Maybe I should put on a VRO2?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Get a new Upper and lower seal too.
Dont know about that part you have in photo.
Id remove the VRO and premix, no doubt in my mind about that

After tearing down the entire block I noticed the bottom cylinders were both scored slightly. The pistons seem to have taken significant scoring to the skirts. There are supposed to be small grooves on the skirt but the bottom pistons have those grooves almost completely gone.

This leaves me wondering about carbs and whether the bottom carb is good or not.

Any ideas on other possibilities for only the bottom 2 cylinders being scored. The top 2 look great.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The metal thing looks like a probe tip from a multimeter. NOT an outboard part.

If the bores aren't hurt and clean up with the hone, you might find some used pistons for it. Followed by New rings, lower bearing, some gaskets, and carb kits. I'd also do fuel hoses and water pump.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Needs crank,4 new pistons, cylinders miked,bearings,seals fuel pump diaphram,bearings and carb kits

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have a 94' 90hp on a rack in the same condition, it's called scrap metal.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can get warranty on a motor like that ( 1 year ) in some areas .-----Motors cost a little more to begin with !

Ok so before I make a determination on whether or not to buy another motor... what are the possible causes of the bottom 2 cylinders failing? Carburetor, bottom seal, ect?

interalian

Commander
The bottom seal is easily checked since you have the powerhead off - torn or worn will show. Inspect carbs for blockage is easy enough - use carb cleaner to blow through the jets. Definitely need to find 'cause of death' before putting any money into it. With something this old, the condition of the ancilliary components is crucial to a repair consideration. If it's a salt motor and you're breaking bolts any time you open things, or if the gearcase is iffy, hard to justify spending deep.

The Bottom seal looks good. I don't think there is a problem there. I haven't gotten around to checking the carbs yet but I'm suspecting that to be the main issue. I found another motor here locally for $750 that is in running condition.

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/bpo/6052888699.html

It does need a carb kit according to the owner BUT it's a salty. Mine has never seen saltwater and everything has come apart just the way you would want it to.

I did hone out all the cylinders today and they all look good now. No more gouges. Cylinder all mic around 3.506 - 3.508

I'm thinking to buy the local motor, put a carb kit in it and start fishing. Then as time allows and (spare parts) rebuild the original motor and sell it.

Thoughts on this?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
At that age any of the other components could fail at anytime, lower unit, electrical, etc, and being an 84' it may not even be rated at the prop, so it could be less HP than that. (they changed from crank to prop HP ratings at that time).

​By the time you invest the time and money into it to get it running again you can typically buy a different motor with a few decades newer technology for a very similar price.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I found another motor here locally for $750 that is in running condition.

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/bpo/6052888699.html

It does need a carb kit according to the owner BUT it's a salty. Mine has never seen saltwater and everything has come apart just the way you would want it to.

I did hone out all the cylinders today and they all look good now. No more gouges. Cylinder all mic around 3.506 - 3.508

I'm thinking to buy the local motor, put a carb kit in it and start fishing. Then as time allows and (spare parts) rebuild the original motor and sell it.

Thoughts on this?

"[FONT=&quot] runs but probably needs carbs cleaned and adjusted" means it doesn't run right and I have no idea why.[/FONT]