235 Evinrude Normal Operating temps/ High RPM

Hi First time posting here , and I have been reading in the forums alot since I came back home, but long story short. My father and I took the boat to the lake yesterday it is a 26" I believe V hull , It is powered by dual Evinrude 235 E235TRLCNE, the problem that I notice before I left home (flight attendant) is that the engines would start to catavate , I believe is the word, or the way I would described it , As the throttle was increased the RPM would rise then as you would increase more throttle the somtimes one of the Engines or both RPMS would sky rocket and we would have to decrease the throttle then slowly increase again , But then the temp horn came on when I was on the wheel , Quickly went to shut the engine off , We never really turned it back on because the horn stayed on for a while and it seem that water might not have been flowing through the system , ( my fathers theory ) So we turned around and headed back for the dock on one engine that we notice that was only running on 4 instead of 6 cylinders. My question is What is causing the rpms to go so high when increasing the throttles, what is the normal Operating temps on the 235.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is the water temperature in the lake ?--------How high is the transom where the engines are mounted ?-------What type of prop is on the motors ?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is this a new to you boat?

If no, had it previously been fine and you just have new troubles?