Water in lower unit Johnson 75 Stinger 75ELR76D

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, Just picked up the 75 Stinger which had been laying around un used for years unknown. I drained the lower unit and at first a little clear water came out and then the rest was black oil. Very little filings on the magnet screw. Assuming water has been getting in to the gearcase, what should I look at replacing to remedy the situation. I also have a lower unit on a 1978 75hp Evinrude (condition also unknown right now) I could swap out with if it's any good. Will the Evinrude lower unit fit? It looks the same as the Johnson. Thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What year is the stinger? Make sure the washers are on the lower unit screws lot of time those get left off and they will leak. Do a pressure and vacuum test on the lower and reseal it as needed..

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll have to try to find a pressure and Vac tester. Also going to pull the Evinrude lower unit and check it out. If it's good, I'll just swap them if they will interchange.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I would use the unit you have. If the oil was really black, it may have been used for a long time, in which case, a little water might be considered normal for a unit of that age. Use it, check the oil frequently, and go from there.

I don't think the '78 unit will work on the '76 as they changed the shift pattern along in that timeline. I believe that '76 was the last year for the hydromechanical shift unit, while the '78 is mechanical shift. I might be a year off in there, so the easiest way to check is to push both shift rods down, turn the driveshafts clockwise and not which way the propshafts turn. If they both turn clockwise, you're golden. If they spin opposite each other, then I got my years correct. :rockon:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Mid year change on the 1975 models for the shift change.-----------But check the 76 lower unit and 78 unit.-------They both should go to FORWARD with an UP motion of the shift rod.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
The gearcase was left empty for a day and when I removed the bottom screw, air pressure and a little oil came spewing out. So, I guess it was holding pressure?