1978 Johnson 35 Hp Choke

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a probably stupid question. This motor is new to me. This past weekend I had it out and at some point the choke solenoid quit engaging when I pushed the key in. I discovered this becasue the motor stalled due to a air leak somewhere coming from the fuel tank but I think I fixed that. I figured out last night that the choke does engage when the engine is cranking and I push the key in at the same time so it works.

That's all good except that I won't be able to choke it on and off as it gets up to temp. Anyone have any idea what might cause that? I have the service manual but couldn't find anything about this issue.

Thanks
Joe

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JoeFromAkron, something doesn't add up with this. Are you saying that you have total choke functioning when cranking initially but not after it warms up? If that is true, you may have either a connection issue fro the push-to-choke switch all the way to the actual solenoid. You can verify that by using a heat gun or hair dryer to see if the solenoid stops work when it get warm. Just a suggestion.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know know how to combine the posts but I figured this was unrelated to the other so I would start a new one. I will just copy and paste what I wrote I guess and reply there.