1989 Evinrude 50HP Water in lower cylinder.

I replaced an obviously bad head gasket on this 89 50 HP, because it locked up due to water in the cylinder ...At first, motor ran great, with expected power and acceleration ... 5 minutes later, power decreased immensely. Pulled the plugs and top was fine, but lower cylinder had obvious water on it. I ran a compression test, and top cylinder is 119 with lower at 100 ... Is my head gasket install bad, or any ideas where I should turn to for a remedy? Thanks!

I did a basic clean, no resurfacing. What is your recommendation for resurfacing, FS?... I believe this gasket is self sealing, with no gasket sealer needed, correct? I will check for warping with a ruler this time around. New head gasket should be here Friday.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Since the head is off, or soon to be off, what do the bores look like? Any signs of scoring?

jimmbo, The last time i had the head off, the cylinders did not raise a concern as far as scoring. I will make more of a concerted effort to look for flaws this time around.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You could try just pinching the lower bolts up some. That 18-20 is on clean bolts and i sometimes get a leak on some at that stage so i tighten them up another five.
I also put the head on a flat plane of glass with finish sandpaper on it and move it in a number 8 fashion until all the low spots a smoothed so you know the head is then flat.
If you do take the head off again inspect the bore carefully for cracks but id start by just tightening a bit.
And yes most headgaskets will come with the sealant on them already if its required

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Also you dont want to mess around as that water will have got through to the bearings so you need to get it up and running with oil blasting through the parts as soon as manageable