Frozen Steering Cable

BoLin

Cadet
Hi All,<br /><br />Just bought a used 1977 Grady with an Evinrude 200. Seller said that the steering cable was broken. That's the easy part.<br /><br />It's a Teleflex manual steering system with a rotary helm. It appears that the steering ram is solidly frozen inside the motor tilt tube. So far I've:<br />- removed the cable from the helm (that's where the break was)<br />- disconneted the motor steering arm from the end of the ram<br />- disconnected the steering cable nut from the motor<br />- loosened the nuts on both sides of the motor<br />- lubed the tilt tube via the zirc fittings (tilt/trim works fine)<br />- sprayed ~20 gallons of WD-40<br />- beaten the end of the steering ram (port side) with a hammer<br />- and tonight it's "marinating with WD-40 and white vinegar.<br /><br />Does anyone have any suggestions other than the one my fav marine supply gave me? They said to pull the motor off the boat, heat the motor bracket and beat / cut out the tilt tube and ram. Oh, and thay can schedule me in about 4 weeks. That's a bit out of my price and time range.<br /><br />Help?<br /> I can't get the cable :confused:

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Frozen Steering Cable

Welcome aboard, BoLin!!!<br />I'm going to move this to Outboard, non-repair as it pertains more to the steering system than engine repair...