1989 Johnson 200 HP GT (Ignition/Weak Spark)

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 200 HP GT with weak spark.
This motor was running when it was parked, I'm told.
Working through the motor I've determined that my spark is too weak to fire.
I have confirmed.
? New battery
? Cables and connections are clean
? +12 volts at the Starter when cranking
? via a cheap spark tester, I have WEAK ORANGE spark at #1 Cylinder only.
? Other 5 cyclinder have a voltage output but is weak. (No spark on tester)
? Power Pack test out. 2nd New Power Pack confirmed it.
? Timer Base is not locked up.
? Engine Sounds "different" to me. Looks and sounds slow. (Sounds like the same engine in this video)

I have concerns that the Timer Base is NG, based on a couple of test. However, it seems to me that a bad Timer Base would not allow "weak" voltage output. i would assume that there would be NO spark. PERIOD.

So, before I purchase another part that is NOT needed. I need to make sure the engine is spinning fast enough to generate ample spark to fire the motor.
Is there any way possible that I can test the starter? How can I confirm my engine RPMS?

******** I've been told that this motor has a unique sound when spinning it. I don't know why but mine sounds very similar to the one posted in the video below.*****

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You measure voltage to primary on coils(org wires). If you got good spark(jumps 3/8 air gap) now you have statrter dragging,bad battery or cables or connection. DO NOT USE WING NUTS ON BATTERY!!!

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You measure voltage to primary on coils(org wires). If you got good spark(jumps 3/8 air gap) now you have statrter dragging,bad battery or cables or connection. DO NOT USE WING NUTS ON BATTERY!!!

Well...I got wing nuts. The post are super clean (after taking a brush to them) and I'm getting 13 volts at the starter. (Not sure if its dragging) it actually kind of sounds weird though. My spark tester does not have a gap to measure. I can just see the spark in the window. However, it is NOT consistent. At times, I lose the spark completely....or at least lose the visual spark. I'm sure i still have voltage there.

my problem is that my Flute is "flickering" and looks like its bad. I do not have 130 volts out of the stator like I should.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No Title

I probably should not comment here because faztbullet is one of the knowledgeable ones but .... From your description it sounds you may not have a proper spark tester. You need an open airgap sparkcheck tester that you can set a gap on. The in-line automotive type with a light don't tell much. Cdi electronics. Com has a trouble shooting guide that is valuable to the diy type. You do need a DVA adapter for a fluke style meter or preferably a peak reading voltmeter. The first is a pic of a stevens peak reading voltmeter. The second one shows half of a spark checker in the bottom item in the pic.

Attachments

• photo246571.jpg
    photo246571.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251147.jpg
    photo251147.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After getting a DVA adapter I was able to determine that the rectifier regulator was the problem. Once I removed that part was the circuit, I was able to start the motor for the first time in 8 years. Runs like a top.