johnson 15 horse water exit?

jdhgcb

Seaman
So I've got an 85 johnson 15 horse. I bought it from a guy who had not ran it in years. i replaced the water pump, fuel pump, rebuilt carb. my question is where exactly does the water exit this motor? ive got water coming out the tell tale, water coming out from the vents above the water intake vents along with exaust, and a solid stream from the hole port side on the front of the lower unit. I ran it for about 10 minutes this afternoon and the water coming from the tell tale and the small hole in the lower unit are cold. the water coming from the vent with exhaust is warm, but does not seem like much water is flowing when compared to the other two areas. does this sound normal? should I have water from the prop? it is a through hub exhaust.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The water exits from several places.
The pee hole water will not get warm because it takes water from where it enters the motor.
The exhaust relief holes will have warmer water because it comes out after it cools the motor.
The holes above the cavitation plate above the prop will have water coming out of them which will also be warm.
The prop will also have water draining out of it.
The small hole on the lower unit is only drain hole water will run out of that after the motor is shut off. If the small drainhole wasn't there water would stay in the lower unit around the shift rod. Normal for that to happen.

jdhgcb

Seaman
well I have no water coming from the prop, and a very steady stream from the drain hole while running. where would the exhaust relief holes be? I dont have any water coming out anywhere else.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How hot is the motor getting? You may need a new thermostat in that motor.

jdhgcb

Seaman
i probably ran it for 10-15 minutes, mostly at idle but did rev it up several times. motor was warm to the touch but not too hot to keep my hand on it for extended period.

jdhgcb

Seaman
so if the stat is stuck open/closed, how does that affect water flow? what I mean is where does the water and does it keep it from exiting the prop as it should? and does it force the water out the drain hole?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The drain hole has nothing to do with the waterpump it is only a drain your muffs are causing that to drain. Is the waterline Installed correctly into the water pump housing? There could be something stuck in the motor like parts of an old impeller. A melted grommet under the powerhead? Is there water coming out of the 2 holes with the exhaust by the peehole. A lot of things could be causing this. The fact the motor did not get very warm would be the place to start.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^Agree. Add that you really need to run it with the l.u. submerged to test the pumping and cooling system. If you get it up to temp and the t.stat opens, you should see increased flow out of the relief holes on the back of the leg (should be bubbling up from the l.u. as well). If you have a converging ring in place on the hub, btw, exhaust and water will be better drawn through the hub and out of the leg when underway.

jdhgcb

Seaman
The drain hole has nothing to do with the waterpump it is only a drain your muffs are causing that to drain. Is the waterline Installed correctly into the water pump housing? There could be something stuck in the motor like parts of an old impeller. A melted grommet under the powerhead? Is there water coming out of the 2 holes with the exhaust by the peehole. A lot of things could be causing this. The fact the motor did not get very warm would be the place to start.

the drain hole is more than draining, when not running and water flowing through the muffs, there is nothing coming coming out any where except for leaking out around the muffs. but when the engine in running, the stream from the drain hole is shooting out probably 3 or 4 feet!I am concerned about a melted grommet, what 2 holes by the pee hole are you referring to?

jdhgcb

Seaman
^^Agree. Add that you really need to run it with the l.u. submerged to test the pumping and cooling system. If you get it up to temp and the t.stat opens, you should see increased flow out of the relief holes on the back of the leg (should be bubbling up from the l.u. as well). If you have a converging ring in place on the hub, btw, exhaust and water will be better drawn through the hub and out of the leg when underway.

when its submerged, how do you tell where water is coming from? when I've run engines in a tub in the past there is so much bubbling and splashing from the exhaust that there is no way to tell where water is exiting from.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
the drain hole is more than draining, when not running and water flowing through the muffs, there is nothing coming coming out any where except for leaking out around the muffs. but when the engine in running, the stream from the drain hole is shooting out probably 3 or 4 feet!I am concerned about a melted grommet, what 2 holes by the pee hole are you referring to?
I told you it is normal for the drain to do that. Get a manual or put up a video of what it is doing. The exhaust holes are right under the hood latch.

jdhgcb

Seaman
I told you it is normal for the drain to do that. Get a manual or put up a video of what it is doing. The exhaust holes are right under the hood latch.

okay yeah i found 1 exhaust hole under the hood latch, there was exhaust coming out here but no water. I have a manual but could not find answers, which is why I came here. I understand what you said about the drain hole, but damn near ALL the water exiting the motor is from there, not where it is supposed to.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??--------When the motor is not running it is difficult for water to go thru the pump.----That is why water pours out of the muffs.--------Best to talk with someone who owns / understands one of these motors.

jdhgcb

Seaman
??--------When the motor is not running it is difficult for water to go thru the pump.----That is why water pours out of the muffs.--------Best to talk with someone who owns / understands one of these motors.

that is why I am here:wink:

I am thinking I have a clog somewhere, or more likely a melted grommet blocking the water in or out. the water pours out the muffs while running too so it must not be flowing through the motor properly.

jdhgcb

Seaman
guess I will start at the bottom and work my way up. I will start by pulling the t stat and force water/air through the water pickup tube from the pump and see if there is flow.

kbait

Commander
If you are testing the cooling system, you MUST run in barrel (deep enough to completely submerge the waterpump) or lake. Muffs add water pressure to water intake, and testing results are not valid. When barrel testing, indicator stream should start immediately after starting motor, and once thermo opens, misty (warm) water out exhaust relief.. it may take several minutes for thermo to open. Head temp shouldn't get too hot to touch for a couple seconds.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put this motor on a boat.---Then put it in the river / lake.----Start it up and check to see if it is overheating.

jdhgcb

Seaman
so just for the sake of conversation, how/why would water be coming out the drain hole with such force only when running?