1975 Johnson 6HP Fuel Pump

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all - I finally dug my 6R75R out of the shed again and am trying to get her back on the water. I pulled the carb and cleaned it even though it was spotless and just went out to try and start it with some fresh ethanol free fuel. Good news is it fired up after a few pulls. The bad news is it only ran for a few seconds then dies. As I looked around I noticed that the fuel pump cap / cover has a crack in and fuel was leaking out. Question now is should I just replace the cap or the whole pump assembly? Looks like I can get the cap for less than $10 but the whole pump is $50 or more.
Also, would a crack in that cap cause it to die that quickly or am I looking at something else too?

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replace the cap and test run.--------Does spark jump a gap of 5/16" on it?--------Have coils ever been replaced ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That cracked filter cap absolutely will cause the pump to suck air through the crack instead of suck gas from the tank.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did replace the coils about 4 years ago and it was running great when I parked it. Only ran a few hours and then it just sat...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
After you replace the cap and it still wants to die out pump the primer bulb and see what happens.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ordered the replacement cap. Should deliver in time for me to install it this weekend. We'll see how she does!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Order a new gasket for under the cap, too. The caps I've had to replace were generally over-tightened to try to prevent a leak caused by an old gasket.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well I replaced the cap and gave it a whirl. Started up and ran great - for a few minutes then died out. I would start back up and after I primed the bulb again and do the same thing. Maybe the fuel pump is bad? I have a new epa safe tank (boo) but put my vented cap from my snapper mower on it.

Also it was pumping water good but the block was HOT! At least I guess it was the block - I put my fingers on it just forward of the spark plugs. I could only keep them there for a second or two. Is that normal? I'm planning on changing the T-Stat just for good measure. I went ahead and opened up the t-stat cover and there was some junk (looked like leaves) stuck to the spring. I'll change the impeller when I get into the lower unit for the water leak.

Wish I could be fishing as much as I'm tinkering with this motor...

Here's some pics from the short run today

Attachments

• photo261261.jpg
    photo261261.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261262.jpg
    photo261262.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I consider those to be just fabulous motors and well worth repairing.---New diaphragm is available for the pump.--That is about the only thing that goes wrong with the pump./

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
can clean up and test the t.stat easily enough. Dip it in some hot water (should be opening at around 140F). While it's out, wouldn't hurt to flush some water down through the housing. I use a little OMC sealer on those as I sometimes find the triangular cap a little tricky to seal.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue but you need more water in the test bucket.----Water should be 6" above the pump.