1993 johnson fast strike 150 starter problem

tomcat50

Cadet
Seloniod clicks but won't start. The starter getting power tested it with test light, so is that telling me its bad.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like it, Take it off and and see if it is locked up. If it is take it apart.

Strangeleak

Seaman
Not necessarily. A typical test light requires 12v and only 0.5 amps and a solenoid will click with minimal amps as well. A starter obviously requires a lot more. Do you have a multimeter? Disconnect the main power wire to the starter and check the resistance of the wire from end to end, should be no more the 5 or so ohms. Check for corrosion or damage. Do not check resistance on a live circuit, it can damage your multimeter.

Also, try tapping on the starter with a hammer while someone turns the key.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
First thing to do is have your battery load tested. THEN check ALL your connections for being clean and tight.

rothfm

Ensign
You could Jump the starter directly and see if it spins bypassing everything except the starter. Funky battery cables will exhibit problems like that. I have a pair now that will click the selenoid, but not enough balls to hit the starter.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hitting these starters with a hammer may crack the magnets.----Do NOT do this.

Strangeleak

Seaman
Tomcat, I apologize for my bad advice that racer schooled me on. :facepalm:

I've tapped on them in the past as a quick test to see if I had a failing starter. Can't say that I've ever broken any magnets but the risk is there nonetheless.

Something new everyday, they say.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you do not know then you do not know is what I say.---------Many of these type of starters on MERCURY motors had a warning on them.------------" do not strike with a hard object ".-----------These starters are so easy to take apart / inspect.--------Not sure why anyone would hesitate to work on these starters.

tomcat50

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. Had the brushes changed on start haven installed yet. Tried the jumping cable bit haven't work yet.