2000 Johnson 150 VRO

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's been a long time since my last visit. Glad to see the forums still hopping! I have some quick question for any knowledgeable folks still hanging around. I recently purchased a 2000 Johnson 150 w/VRO. The motor hasn't seen any real time on the water in 3 yrs. Compression check is fine, and I plan to run her soon! But, before I do:

1) Would you trust the VRO pump, or disconnect and premix instead?

2) How reliable are the VRO pumps? (Can you tell I'm hesitant to put any faith in it?)

I've heard horror stories on VRO use, and am quite hesitant to trust my investment to a piece of equipment that is potentially unreliable. Or, am I simply over reacting here? My concern is that it hasn't seen water in a while, and I'm worried about dried o-rings and such. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
the system is a decent system...if you have a under the floor gas tank, you will hate premixing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!an above the floor tank isn't so bad to premix. if you let the oil reservoir go dry and your alarms don't work.....yeah you can fry the motor.... I think every manufacturer uses oil injection on its 2 strokes...Yamaha, and merc.......I am not running the oil pmpms on my motors because they were disconnected when I bought the motors...I am thinking about hooking them back up...... so I don't need long neck funnels and having to open 2 stroke oil containers and try to read the level as I pour it in.. and then trying to put the oily funnel away and the oil drains off it for the next 2 hours all over everything its near........big pain...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can run on 50:1 untill you confirm proper oil use by the VRO.-------These pumps are easy / simple to take apart for inspection.-------You can run the test on the VRO per the service manual.

Theoutdoorsman

Thanks! The information is much appreciated. I think I'll leave it hooked up and monitor usage. After all, its worked since 2000 right? ... :-D

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You should run on 50:1 initially and confirm oil usage by making a mark on the tank.

Additionally you should confirm all six are firing by doing a drop test under light load. That will tell you if a carb got gummed up while sitting. Would suck to burn up a hole just cause you did not test and then ran it lean.

Theoutdoorsman

You should run on 50:1 initially and confirm oil usage by making a mark on the tank.

Additionally you should confirm all six are firing by doing a drop test under light load. That will tell you if a carb got gummed up while sitting. Would suck to burn up a hole just cause you did not test and then ran it lean.

Interesting you should bring this up, as I plan to purchase a service manual to clean the carbs and perform the link-n-sinc. Suggestions on a quality manual?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The only quality service manual is an OEM one. The Seloc and Clymer manuals can and do have large errors in them, IMO.

I have the 1998 version of that motor. It has very good low end power and runs very well. The VRO (actually called OMS) is superb, as it provides a fresh 60::1 fuel mix at all speeds .

Theoutdoorsman

The only quality service manual is an OEM one. The Seloc and Clymer manuals can and do have large errors in them, IMO.

I have the 1998 version of that motor. It has very good low end power and runs very well. The VRO (actually called OMS) is superb, as it provides a fresh 60::1 fuel mix at all speeds .

Good to know. Thanks!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I bought same motor many years ago and when it was installed I did not hesitate to have the VRO removed .I have been mixing all my life and I trust ME more than a pump. 10 years with it and I have not forgotten to mix yet.I know more than 1 person in out marina that has had theirs fail or they forgot to refill reservoir.Just my 2 cents....I would remove it.Charlie

Theoutdoorsman

I am having a DEVIL of a time locating a factory service manual for this outboard! If anyone knows where I can pick one up, PLEASE let me know where.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The Marineengine web site sells them. You will need your model number to get the right one.

Charlie, those motors have a low oil alarm on them, if you need to be reminded to fill the reservoir. Of course, I fill it after any long trip, as my gas gauge is inaccurate, and I measure the oil into the reservoir, to know how much gas to buy.

Theoutdoorsman

The Marineengine web site sells them. You will need your model number to get the right one.

Charlie, those motors have a low oil alarm on them, if you need to be reminded to fill the reservoir. Of course, I fill it after any long trip, as my gas gauge is inaccurate, and I measure the oil into the reservoir, to know how much gas to buy.

Looks like they have one! Thanks. Can you comment on the quality?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Factory manuals are the only way to go.-----Consulted your local dealer for a manual ?.-----Oh I forgot many folks ignore the local boat shop.---Then wonder why the doors are closed one day.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Charlie, those motors have a low oil alarm on them, if you need to be reminded to fill the reservoir.
Yep,I removed that too!! My point in removing the system was that I dont trust anything to mix oil and gas when improper mix or malfunction can cause catastrophic results.I TRUST ME DOING MIXING

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Yep,I removed that too!! My point in removing the system was that I dont trust anything to mix oil and gas when improper mix or malfunction can cause catastrophic results.I TRUST ME DOING MIXING

yeah the trade off is that you now have to getout the funnel and ESTIMATE how much fuel can fit in the tank and then figure how much oil and then measure out your oil and add it, then go to set the oily dripping funnel someplace that doesn't collect dust and sand and grit, while you pump the gas. then you have to make sure you estimated correctly how much gas would fit...and if that amount of gas wont fit...you now have too rich an oil mixture!!!. now go find a nice place for that oily funnel and make sure it stays clean till the next time...........

I wonder if Mercury and Yamaha have had issues with their oil injection????????????

Theoutdoorsman

I can honestly see both sides of the argument. So long as I am able to obtain a high quality OEM manual, with clear references to checking the system, I'm ok with it. I've premixed for years now, and have no problem continuing to do so. My main concern is with my instrument panel, and ensuring it's working correctly. Regularly testing it would certainly ease my mind. Currently, I have no indication my guage is even working. That's concerning to me.

Last edited: