1963 3hp evinrude lightwin made in belgium.help,please!!!

2nd cook

Cadet
thank you F-R !!! i'll give it a try.i let you know how things work out.right now I don't a filter at all and the motor runs,sort of. today ordered oil seals and o rings the lower unit leaks oil I want to get that thing going real well because where I fish in northern California I've never seen motors like that ,we don't have any chapters or swap meets .had this one shipped from Syracuse,ny at great expense,on top of that the seller misrepresented (lied) about its condition .that's why I have to get it going. in the meantime thank you very much for all your help!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I just checked the aomci members list and counted 71 members in California. But my geography isn't good enough to know where each address is. The Nor Cal chapter is listed as Nevada City, between Sacramento and Reno. I've been close---Lassen Volcano.

2nd cook

Cadet
this message is for F_R tried to buy brass mesh filter screen,locally(hardware stores,auto stores,etc.) no success! did you buy yours online ? what microns or size would you use? thank you for all your help

lindy46

Captain
2nd cook: Did you ever check the private message (PM) I sent you regarding the filter you need?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I got my screen from www.mcmaster.com. It comes in 12" X 12" pieces--a lifetime supply. Actually, I got two lifetimes because I first bought 100 X 100 mesh and found it to be a bit too fine. I don't remember offhand what the second piece I bought was. I'll have to go out to the shop to see---tomorrow.

2nd cook

Cadet
hello, lindy 46!! i'm still trying to get to your message.just don't know how to open it. oldboat1 even helped me.walked me through it .still could not do it.even went to the library to get help. no help there ,either.i'm still very much interested!!!! perhaps you could send me an e-mail? eventually we get it straithened out. best regards, and thank you again!

lindy46

Captain
Once you're on the Iboats forum page, look at the top right of the screen. You'll see your user ID and to the left of it, a link for "messages". Click on that link.

2nd cook

Cadet
this is for oldboat1: checked under the slotted screw under the power head,lots of water there.exhaust plate is pretty hot,the power head only warm, is that o.k.? I know where the missing oil went,while I had the l.u. off I angled the leg down and every morning there was oil dripping out.replaced o ring on top of drive shaft,replaced 2 seals and o ring in lu and refilled with 80/90 lube. did not pressure check,will have to keep an eye on it. thank you again &nnbsp

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hi 2nd Cook. That sounds good, IMO. The exhaust plate gets pretty warm, but the top of the powerhead shouldn't be over 160F (too hot to touch is too hot) -- sounds like you have good flow coming up from the pump, and temp is good.

(The oil may be unburned fuel, which will smell like gas.)

Good boating!

2nd cook

Cadet
this message is for lidy46!! still can not view your pm, went to messages ,nothing pops up.otherwise did as you suggested,changed 2 seals o ring and vent and fill screws incl.new crush washers and refilled with 80/90 lube.one more thing,have been using a cutoff 1 3/4 inch finish nail for a shear pin in my 3 hp motor. is that o.k.? still want that filter. hope you have more than 1 thanks for all your help!!!!

2nd cook

Cadet
this is for F_R : I think I got more troubles! yesterday I looked at the tank in good light. I thought I had no filter but it looks like the filter is stuck inside the tank.i thought when you unscrew the connector from the tank the filter is supposed to come out,too now I have the conn. and shutoff valve in one hand and the filter stuck in the tank. any suggestions at all? or should I be looking for another tank? anyway,yesterday had the motor running for about 20 mins thanks for everything!!!

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you could put an in line filter in place about 1/2 way along the fuel line. There are some available that are quite small. Probably find one in a small engine repair/dealer.

lindy46

Captain
this message is for lidy46!! still can not view your pm, went to messages ,nothing pops up.otherwise did as you suggested,changed 2 seals o ring and vent and fill screws incl.new crush washers and refilled with 80/90 lube.one more thing,have been using a cutoff 1 3/4 inch finish nail for a shear pin in my 3 hp motor. is that o.k.? still want that filter. hope you have more than 1 thanks for all your help!!!!

Tried sending you another PM

2nd cook

Cadet
this is for Bonaventure how do you put an inline filter into a 3/16 copper pipe?? I need to get the old filter out of the tank.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it could be done with fittings, I was thinking it had a rubber hose of course. 😚😚

2nd cook

Cadet
this message is mostly for F-R who helped me a great deal but any one who's had a similar problem is more than welcome to help,i would appreciate it very much!!! how do you get a filter that's stuck in the tank, out? any ideas at all? I need to get that sucker out so I can put a new one in. right now I have the connector and shutoff valve out and the ffilter stuck inside the tank. thank you all!! if you have any ideas at all please let me know !!!

2nd cook

Cadet
Hi F-R did you ever check out the brass screen size? if 100 x 100 is too fine,how about 60 x 60? the holes are .009 1/3 larger than 100 x100. would that size do? knocked out the stuck filter as per your suggestion on an old post of yours thank you for all your help!!

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why don't you just add a fuel line filter? Remove a section of the brass fuel line and add a proper size fuel hose with a filter in between. No fiddling arround with brass screens inside a tight tank. It probably cheaper too. When the cowling is placed you won't see it anymore.

Last edited: