1977 Johnson 200 ignition coil multineter readings

Lentine95

Seaman
Hey all, was wondering what these ignition coils are supposed to read when hooked up to a multimeter? Trying to get this old outboard going and just connected a spark check to it and didn't get any spark indicator. So checked all the coils and they all read .25 to .30 on my multimeter when had it on the 20k ohms setting. Was wondering if these was in spec? Figured I'd start here with no spark then look at powerpacks as a possibility. Thanks

Attachments

• photo259871.jpg
    photo259871.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to cdielectronics.com for trouble shooting procedures.

Lentine95

Seaman
That's what I kind of figured, the chances of all 6 being bad, and being bad plus reading within same ranges seems like it'd be pretty hard to achieve haha. I checked out the CDI sight and going to check what kind of readings I can get off my powerpack and stator now

Lentine95

Seaman
No Title

Not sure if measuring right, but coming up with these numbers with multimeter. Brown to brown yellow, yellow to yellow

Attachments

• photo259890.jpg
    photo259890.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259891.jpg
    photo259891.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If motor cranks slow there will be no spark !--So take starter apart and check ohms from shaft to commutator.---That should read infinity.---Have battery load tested. -----Check battery cables too.----Usually folks answer to this with----" it cranks just fine "

Lentine95

Seaman
Motor cranks slow with plugs and battery has a decent charge, but spins good with plugs out. So I pulled plugs and kept one in and checked with spark tester, did this a few times with no spark at any. So I unscrewed powerpack wires and put a test light in and cranked. Also, got no light while doing this.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It costs zero $ to take the starter apart for inspection.----Others will argue and take a different approach to trouble shooting.

marleywars

Seaman Apprentice
I had similar issues and diagnosed that the starter solenoid was bad. Swapped that out and it cranked good and hard (started too). Test the voltage to the starter from the solenoid.

Lentine95

Seaman
Had the starter solenoid off yesterday because I had a problem with it not cranking at all. I swapped out the one on it for one that was on another motor of mine that I knew could start my other motor. So feel starter solenoid is good.

Was also told to do a volt test with it not being cranked and then it being cranked, with multimeter going to battery terminal and to terminal with white wire and both had 12.54V, both off and cranked

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
As Racer said you need to get that starter checked and the battery load tested if that engine is not spinning 250/300 rpms you aren't going to get a spark likely and no start. Auto Zone will load check your bat for free.

Lentine95

Seaman
I had the battery tested a month ago, and was told everything read fine. But, guess wouldn't hurt to get read again to see if after using a bit if anything changed. Ive been charging battery all day and it cranked quicker for like 5sec and then went back to slugging again.

Starter solenoid seems to be good according to a test I was told to do on another forum ( multimeter test positive terminal to white wire terminal, then test again but cranking),bit don't know if there's another test I should do. Also, by checking starter do you mean taking bottom off and checking the brushes?

Lentine95

Seaman
Was also going to get new battery cables as well since I feel ones now are much longer then they need to be, and brand new clean would help eliminate another failing point

Lentine95

Seaman
Have it cranking nice and fast now. Bought a new battery and cables, hooked the new battery up and no difference. So I replaced the battery cables with 2 gauge, replaced the cable from the solenoid to starter with 1 gauge, and fixed some ground cables. Hooked it up to the old battery and it cranked nice and fast now. However put the spark tester on and still no spark. So then I unscrewed the wires from powerpack to ignition coil to use a test light and had no light either

Lentine95

Seaman
Just got it running, disconnected the kill switch wires and shot some fuel down the carb and it started right up.