1974 Evinrude 70 hp model 70473 M

Tjets

Cadet
Im a Newbe. I would like to add power trim and tilt to my motor. What are my best options at this point? I just got this boat. I call it my 1974 stump jumper... lol any advise is welcome. Thanks!!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
CMC pt130 or Panther model 135 something similiar . Aftermarket is really the only way to go for that old of a motor.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you add tilt and trim you will need to change name of boat , jumping stumps is harder on transom with t & t . JMO

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would disagree with t&t being harder on the transom. The hydraulics have a shock absorbing effect much more so than the breakaway locks that were used on those motors. That is why I like the pt 130 more than the panther as it's hydraulic.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Jumping stumps is hard on the transom, the gear case, the prop, not to mention the owners nerves. Without power trim the engine had shock absorbers in the transom bracket along with the spring loaded latch. I always filed the latch so it didn't take as much to let the lock release. Never trusted it.
That engine is over 40 yrs old, and not a lot were equipped with power trim, lots had power tilt. The CMC is probably your best option, and allows you to transfer the Power Trim to another boat and/or motor

Tjets

Cadet
Maybe I should just change her name to the African Queen.
Thanks for the advice guys I'll let you know how it turns out. See my post on carb issues. Working out bigger problems with this motor than pt&t. :(

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Worst part of it all, at $400 and up, the Aftermarket tilt trims cost almost what the motor is worth.

Tjets

Cadet
Yeah I hear that! The boat is a 74' Eldo-Craft, old style 16' boat in fair condition, needs carpet and some serious rubbing compound to shine it up a bit. Foor and transom still solid, no major hull problems. I got the boat for 500 bucks with trolling motor and fish locator, Trailor in good shape too. So far I've cleaned the carbs, bought a new fuel pump and bulb, new impeller and starter battery. So I've put another 250 in it. I'd like to fix it up to and sell it and find another little bigger boat to fix up. That's why I'm hesitating on aftermarket t-n-t don't know if I'll be able to break even.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
At least you can use it on an other engine. You never "break even" when owing a boat. It is a Hole in the Water you continually pour Money into

Tjets

Cadet
Lol! Yeah true, very true, still if my total cost after batteries and a tnt is around 1200, I think that still pretty good deal for a small fishing boat.