Help with 1982 Evinrude 75hp driveshaft.

norcalauto

Cadet
I have a 1982 75 hp evinrude model number E75ERLCNB. I failed a pressure test in the lower unit and decided to replace all the seals. When I pulled the water pump and driveshaft bearing carrier I found that my driveshaft was extremely pitted and rusted so the new seals would not seal. I ended up buying a new driveshaft. Now I need to shim the new driveshaft.. I cannot find a part number anywhere for the shim guage bar for this outboard. Can anyone please help me with this info??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Would probably be cheaper to have a tech set the gears for you, then you can complete your reassembly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried E-Bay or Craigs List ?? Where you located at ??

norcalauto

Cadet
What I'm looking for probably exists on eBay but I do not have a part number for the shim gauge bar for this engine

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You need the tool along with the gauge bar.....usually a dealer has these.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you're going to do this yourself you better get an OMC Factory Service Manual.

norcalauto

Cadet
Got the service manual and ended up buying all special tools. When measuring the driveshaft shim it shows that I need .002 of shim. The smallest shim I can find is .003 because the .002 is obsolete since it is such a minor difference do you think it will cause any problems. I've heard from a few people that it'll be absolutely fine but they are people I don't really trust well. LOL

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Can you make that shim ??------Or can you calculate the amount the lower unit shrinks /expands in cold / warm water ?.-----Are you 100% sure a 0.002" shim is what you need ?