Alternative to trim pump seal kit

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1998 Evinrude 50hp on a pontoon I recently picked up. The trim pump only lifted the engine about 1/3 of the way up then it stops but the pump keeps going. If you manually assist it the motor will tilt up. Also, there is fluid seeping out around the ram at the cap.

Looking at seal kits for the pump they are $70 on up for o-rings. This seems pricey for o-rings. Has anyone had luck with buying the standard o-rings at local stores and getting he specialty wiper style seals from a marine retailer. Perhaps I'm wasting time looking but I'm in no rush at the moment to have it done.

Also it appeared to be full of ATF when I took it apart. Is that the correct fluid ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd stick with the original factory parts. JMHO. The ATF will work but it's not the original.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of OEM parts can be had cheaper on flea bay and other sites. Also, Sierra and GLM might make the seal kit as well. You might do some searching to get a better price on the total kit, as it sounds like you need a few parts. It will be hard to get the correct Orings, especially if they are made of a special silicone or rubber.