V4 X-Flow Adapter Plate Gasket

TurboJet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good morning all,

Recently pulled my powerhead to replace the thermostats on my V4 crossflow and noticed the adapter plate to powerhead gasket appeared to be leaking.

After pulling the adapter plate off and cleaning the old gasket off with gas and plastic scraper, it looks like either the leaking gasket caused some pitting in the aluminum or when I pulled the plate off the powerhead, some of the paint (powdercoat?) came off with the gasket leaving an "unfinished" surface.

I am curious as to what others think about how smooth I should get the mating surfaces on the plate?

The bottom of the power head looks smooth, I just have to finish cleaning off the gasket.

Should I take the plate to a machine shop and have them take off 0.001?

Should I just coat the gasket with some sealing adhesive and reassemble?

Take it to a powdercoat shop and have it re-caoted?

Paint it and emery cloth it?

Attached are some pics of the plate and the bottom of the powerhead...

Any insight helps!

Attachments

• photo259464.JPG
    photo259464.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259465.JPG
    photo259465.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259466.JPG
    photo259466.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259467.JPG
    photo259467.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no damage there , it all looks normal.------Use a bit of sealer on re-assembly.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That OMC sealer will last for years. Just a touch with the fingertip on just about any gasket surface. The powdery stuff on the plate sure looks like salt water corrosion to me. If it were mine, I would do some wire brushing and sanding, then hit it with some primer and paint -- doesn't have to be anything very sophisticated, and having a shop do it seems like overkill.

TurboJet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Thanks for the input

I have most of the gasket off now and I prob will do a touch of (500grit?) block sanding and a fresh coat of some maybe some enamel...

This lower TurboJet adapter plate is of a strange configuration and difficult to"jig" in place to work on due to the irregular size.

Hope to be back on the water soon!

Attachments

• photo259512.JPG
    photo259512.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259513.JPG
    photo259513.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1

TurboJet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow, getting this back together and that OMC gasket sealant is like goo!

It says it will never harden?

Are you all 100% sure to slab this stuff on my surfaces when the manual say no sealant?

Thanks for all the feedback recently, it is a nice relief to have questions answered!