Motor bogging out after about 5 minutes of WOT

Jimmyb617

Cadet
I have a 1995 Johnson 115 2-Stroke, takes a little choking and priming to get if started but once it is started I can turn it off and it will start right back up with no problem. The problem is when it is at WOT after a couple minutes it will slowly start losing power until it goes down to about 1300 rpms and then it I try to give it more it will bog down and shut off. It will start back up and go into gear but right when I give it throttle it bogs down and shuts off again. I have removed the carbs and they are spotless, also removed he float bowls to make sure they were not gettin stuck and they are moving up and down freely

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If compression and bulb tests check out, wouldn't hurt to check head temp, t.stats, temp switches, water discharge.

Jimmyb617

Cadet
Thanks fellas I'll start with a compression test and check the spark plugs and I'll try to run it on new fuel

Jimmyb617

Cadet
Also primer bulb never stays hard while motor is running and if I pump it before I start the motor, it goes soft after about 15 seconds

interalian

Commander
Bulb going soft is normal. If it gets sucked flat, that's not. As noted above, try pumping the bulb when it starts to lose power - if it picks up, you likely have a bad fuel pump.

Or, if it's overheating and binding up due to expansion.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
The problem is when it is at WOT after a couple minutes it will slowly start losing power until it goes down to about 1300 rpms and then it I try to give it more it will bog down and shut off. It will start back up and go into gear but right when I give it throttle it bogs down and shuts off again.

Sure sounds like fuel delivery. Could be the tank vent. Or if pumping the bulb helps it's the fuel pump. Otherwise, check every connection and filter screen from the tank to the carburetors to see if anything is clogged.