Vro conversion

Glassman87

Cadet
Have a 1984 Johnson 140. Spent alot alot of time reading here and everywhere on converting to old style fuel pump. I see the kits to.hook pulse line up ECT. But the 84 has its pulse line in the exact spot that the 83 I have with a regular pump.on it now on each side of the pulse line are two screw holes looks like maby all they did was tap and thread a fitting in and attach hose my question is has anyone went and bolted the pump from.a 83 to the block if so do I have to mods that pulse hole or just remove fitting and bolt on?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Easy------Remove the plug and bolt the 83 style pump on to the 84 intake manifold.------Plug hole for the VRO pulse port.

Glassman87

Cadet
Thanks seems simple enough one pump.will be sufficient I don't get why the later years you have to install 2?? Or so.i read anyway. And it looks like they used the same pulse port so I should just have to remove nipple right?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.---------The 83 pump mounts directly to the intake manifold with one hose for fuel in and one for fuel out.---------The pump is mounted directly over the pulse port.------------The 84 models added a different pulse port for the VRO and plugged the 83 style pulse port.---------------You can mount an 83 style pump directly on an 84 to 97 model CROSSFLOW block and on the spot provided on the intake manifold.----------Or you can mount a " 3 hose pump " and use the VRO pulse port minus the pulse limiter.------------Your choice.--------------Two pumps may be required for the big block " looper " style motor and you should not confuse the 2 styles of engine.

Glassman87

Cadet
Awesome Thanx I'm.hopeing to.have carbs off for rebuild tommrw and remove vro then I'll see where everything traces. Thanx for all the help

Glassman87

Cadet
OK got the carbs off tonight. There currently soaking and I have a 67C office crack in half and need to remove but neither here nor there. Any way, I have a pix of what I got. It appears I don't have 2 ports they used the one for the regular pump for the vro pulse line and I think I should be Abel to install a pump right on correct? Or do I need to close the plug hole to.make it smaller? The hose is the pulse line to vro how big is the hole on a non vro can I plug and play?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am not there to look your motor over.----Maybe it is NOT an 84 block.---Can not see from where I sit.

Glassman87

Cadet
Numbers match up on part members for 84 and the tested buy sticker has 84 on it. So I assume it is not 100% but everything points to yes and it has vro and the intake manifold is made for it with the adapted 4th intake so it can bolt on the wiring harness is vro. So my? Is can I plug and play or do I need to make that pulse hole smaller. With a treaded bushing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I am loosing track of what you are trying to do.-----It now seems different from what I see in post # 1---State clearly what you want to end up with !

Glassman87

Cadet
I'm looking to switch from.vro to regular fuel pump with the way it is I unscrewed the pulse line to vro. And I can bolt on a fuel pump. My? Do I need to make the pulse hole smaller as it's taped for 5/16 in thredded fitting or will it work the way it is and just bolt a fuel pump.off a 83 right on. Just not sure if the size of that hole matters to the fuel pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It simply does not matter what size the hole is in the manifold.-----Do not over think this.