Swapping out Force for Evinrude. New control box?

Glenn Iverson

Seaman Apprentice
Will be removing my 89 Force 125 from my Arriva 20ft. bowrider & replacing with an 89 Evinrude XP 150.
I have the Evinrude cable & wiring harness. The control box that came with the Evinrude is a top mounted box from a Boston Whaler boat & not compatible with my Arriva side mount location. I currently have a US Marine flush mounted control box in the boat, can I use it for the Evinrude if I swap out the cables? Also will my US Marine Tach work?

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
A fews year ago, I removed 1996 Force 120 and replaced with 1995 Johnson 115 (using pre-mix).

For details, surf all posts at: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...board-any-tips

For me, I sold the factory Mercury Control box (and cables) with the Force engine. And installed Johnson 115 with its factory OMC control box (and its factory cables). To power the dish gauges, I simply ran a thick 10 guage 30Amp fuse from battery, to its under dash area (for HD toggle switch), then to its under dash fuse box. The OMC controls is for motor electronics and this custom toggle switch controls the non-engine electronics. KISS wiring method.

Note: May need to change (swap) some of the gauges as well. Best to 100% test everything on Muffs - before open water test.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I also swapped out a 85 Force to a Evinrude 100. However; it was done by a mechanic. I still have the original controls and switch; just a gob of wire harness tucked away. I paid big bucks to have it done; but feel it was worth it; no problems in over two rears

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Just on the cables -- You can find OMC motor ends that screw on to the Morse-style cables that you probably have with the US Marine box. Direction of the F/R cable movement may need to be reversed by repositioning the cable on the control lever.

Glenn Iverson

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I have the Morse style cables. The actual US Marine control box w/trim is a concealed style. I suspect it is also generic as I have seen the exact style minus the US Marine logo claiming to be for OMC MOTORS.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Teleflex/Morse (also Seastar, I think). Lot's of mergers. Good equipment -- Morse cables remain some of the best made. You can find parts for the unit you have on your boat (Don't lean on the lever too hard if you have any binding -- sliding plastic backing plate can break.)

OMC has used those units too, as I recall, although with their cables.