1976 25 HP - can I invert for maintenance?

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I'm about to replace lower unit seals on my 1975 25 HP Evinrude. The lower unit attachment bolts face down (blind bolt holes facing upwards.) My biggest concern right now is snapping off the bolt heads, so I want as much control as possible over applied torque. Working from "under" the bolt heads doesn't seem compatible with that goal. Will I do any harm by (carefully) standing the motor on its head and securing it so that I can better access those bolts? I have drained the lower unit, and I have not yet uncoupled the drive shaft. Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You could end up with any water still in the cooling system ending up in the cylinders. Mount the engine on a stand high enough, so when tilted up you can reach the bolts closer to horizontal.

kbait

Commander
No problem. I do that to pull skeg to inspect/replace gears, dog, propshaft seal.. all water should be drained from sitting upright..

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't just because there could be water in there if a drain hole is plugged. Also if there is any dirt or anything loose in there it could fall into the engine. You could just lay it on the ground on its back and take them out that way. Or do what jimmbo said but in the end it's your call to do it the way you want. I have tipped up motors after a winter and had water come out. Couple of more reasons I wouldn't do it, If you leave the hood on it could get damaged ditto for if you set it in the recoil.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

No need to take drastic actions. Those screws will come out easy a pie, if you use the right tool. That is a hand operated impact screwdriver. A cam inside rotates the bit when you swat it with a hammer. Anybody that works on outboard motors should not be without one.

Attachments

• photo104982.jpg
    photo104982.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If a salt water motor you should be using heat to remove the bolts that hold the lower unit to the exhaust housing.-Then make a holder for the lower unit so you can work on it upside down !-----You do have to do that to replace the driveshaft and shift rod seals anyway.

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice
= The consensus seems to be that it's OK to invert unless there is water that can find its way to the cylinders. I think I'll not take the chance.
= I have a hand impact tool somewhere, but my recollection is that item isn't so easy to use upside down, so I'll pass on that as well.
+ +1 for heat, that was part of my plan. A 14MM box wrench fits the nominal 9/16" bolt heads nice and tight, so hopefully I'll have sufficient control not to tear off a bolt head :)
= Follow-up question re the necessity to work on the lower unit upside down to replace the seals: My understanding is that if the drive shaft is pulled out of the gearbox on this motor, it will lose time. Won't turning it upside down cause the shaft to pull out, or does seal replacement require the complete tear down that retaining the shaft is intended to avoid (hope the question is clear?)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can pull the drive shaft out and slide it back in all day long !--Nothing goes " out of time " on the lower unit.-----Are you not going to replace the shift rod o-ring ?---That is a major leakage point if that item is original.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Get a manual or look at some videos on you tube. To replace all seals you need to turn the gearcase upside down. As far as I know the only danger when pulling the drive shaft out is damaging the seals, but if you are careful then no problem.

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice
I have the "Evinrude Johnson Service Manual 1971-1989 1-60 HP" that I believe I purchased from this site. On further review the disconnect I mentioned is for the shift linkage. However, under water pump removal, the "advice" section reads "If the only work to be performed is service of the water pump, be extremely CAREFUL to prevent the driveshaft from being pulled up and free of the pinion gear in the lower unit... If the shaft should be released from the pinion, the lower unit MUST be disassembled to align the pinion gear and drive shaft, then the driveshaft installed. The "good words" section immediately following refers to a driveshaft key indexing to a keyway on the pinion. That is what I erroneously referred to as "timing." So, if complete lower unit disassembly is required for seal replacement, I should not worry about the advice on driveshaft removal as I should have adequate access to match up the key and keyway, correct? That service manual is pretty good, but covers too many models to go into as much detail as I would like on this particular task.I did some sleuthing on YouTube, but I didn't find much there useful to this specific job either. I hoping that I can put together the instructions from the manual, parts diagrams specific to my motor, and what I see when I open up the lower unit to get this task done correctly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some of those manuals belong in the " wee house " with the 1/4 moon in the door.---The driveshaft can be pulled out with no worries or concerns on this motor !!