1988 Evinrude 140 Stuck Driveshaft.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
As some of you might know, I found a 140 looper for 1200$ last fall. Its a good runner, just working on some basic tune-ups on it. Plugs, wires, gearcase oil and a carb clean. Ive gotten to the water pump stage, removed all the bolts, and the shift link and she won't come to free. the four bolts (two on each side) that hold the gearcase up were easy to take off, and were greased recently (noticed grease coming off bolt and in hole) but the anode bolts were tough
Mod EDIT
I'm sure I've got all the bolts out, and I took out the shift link bolt, she just wont come free. Im able to wiggle the gearcase side to side, and I have an out 1/8 inch or about 2 potato chips room to put something in between, and it gets closer going to the front of the gearcase, coming to a firm bond. (At the prop end it's lose, and at the shift link end near where the driveshaft it is tight. Ive tried wacking it, using wood slants inbetween the gearcase to separate it...I've got nothing....am I missing something? It pisses water o.k but id like to just put a new one in for this upcoming season. Advise please!

Last edited by a moderator:

Strangeleak

Seaman
I glanced at my engine, '91 120 Looper, on the way out of the garage this morning, but couldn't see much as it was a little dark. Isn't there a bolt or two on the underside of the lower unit, just above the prop? Maybe under the trim tab cover?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I glanced at my engine, '91 120 Looper, on the way out of the garage this morning, but couldn't see much as it was a little dark. Isn't there a bolt or two on the underside of the lower unit, just above the prop? Maybe under the trim tab cover?

yes, ive got those there was two

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I went out this morning, tightened all the bolts up on the lower unit, and than took them out, thats a trick I read online. No luck, I banged on it for a good 20 mins, with a little more movement towards the nose of the lower unit. Im guessing il have to take off the lower cowling to get some pb and heat on the sucker. Any advise? **Also already ordered the factory service manual.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Is this a salt water used motor?
Often its the drveshaft stuck in the splines of the lowercrank. Ive heard of people making wedges and gradually keeping pressure on it or turning the motor upside down and tipping down atf fluid

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Is this a salt water used motor?
Often its the drveshaft stuck in the splines of the lowercrank. Ive heard of people making wedges and gradually keeping pressure on it or turning the motor upside down and tipping down atf fluid

Yes it was saltwater, I will have to use wedges. I might try and take it out on the lake, WOT and slow speeds, than try getting it off, Maybe that vibration willl crack it open.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Try the barrel first and if that doesn't do it take it to the lake. Let us know what happens.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Try the barrel first and if that doesn't do it take it to the lake. Let us know what happens.

Ok, Im finishing a few last things in the gardge, and will be able to pull her out and start it in about a week or so. for now Il put the bolts back in.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Dont put them back on too far as hanging it there now can help, You just want the bolts to catch it if it frees up and drops. You can also put a rope around the LU with some weights attached and it might decide to just let go sometime over the week

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Dont put them back on too far as hanging it there now can help, You just want the bolts to catch it if it frees up and drops. You can also put a rope around the LU with some weights attached and it might decide to just let go sometime over the week

Would a cinder block do the trick? Im getting the manual for it today in the mail, il see if there is any little tricks or tip in that. Im going to start her up this friday, so il just have to wait and see....Hoping for the best....!!!

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
It sure might, id be using it myself, goodluck

Thank you, last night I put a quart of wood over the back side, and i got a car jack and pressed it snug against the lower unit and the upper trim area, its keeping constant pressure on it, not to tight were it will break something , but tight enough

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Running the engine certainly has some merit, if the engine is warm the crankshaft and the driveshaft may expand at different rates and allow them to separate

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Running the engine certainly has some merit, if the engine is warm the crankshaft and the driveshaft may expand at different rates and allow them to separate

Yes, I will try running the motor soon. Il put the 4 bolts around the gearcase on and one middle bolt, how many turns loose should they be? just loose enough to catch it? I will be doing it in a barrel.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I dont think you want it to drop too far while its running. Maybe just 1 turn lose as bobbie suggested in post number 7.