1988 Evinrude 25. Short to long shaft conversion

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys.

Getting ready to install a gearcase extension on my 88 Evinrude 25hp to extend it to 20" and I'm trying to get a handle on the procedure. I have the full extension kit, including housing, longer water tube, drive shaft, and shift rod.

One person said you have to remove the powerhead to make this conversion, while others have said you only need to remove the lower unit to swap the parts. I would definitely prefer to avoid removing the powerhead if possible, but just by looking at it, I'm not sure how I'd disconnect the water tube or shift rod without doing that.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't want to make this job more difficult than it needs to be.

Model # E25RCCA
Serial# 732740

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a shift rod extension or the complete longer shift rod ??----------Pictures ?.------------If you have the long factory upper shift rod you will have to remove the powerhead to change that.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you have a shift rod extension or the complete longer shift rod ??----------Pictures ?.------------If you have the long factory upper shift rod you will have to remove the powerhead to change that.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have the full longer shift rod, same with the water tube. Wonder if I can find an extension.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You know what, I may just cut off the bottom 5" of the longer shaft, and make a coupling to attach it to the bottom of the current one. Gonna have to extend the water tube too...maybe I could just make a rubber coupling for that one. I really don't want to take off that powerhead lol.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Might be easier to take off the powerhead in this case !-----Not that hard to do at all.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Can lift that powerhead off after disconnecting (no pulley or chains needed.) Additional advantage to R & R is the opportunity to clean and check, refresh gaskets, etc.

You want to be able to convert it back, or have the parts on hand for future use -- will have complete short shaft and long shaft kits with no improvising.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I don't have a garage at home, but there's a machine shop at work where I can fabricate parts, so sometimes I try to do my fixes there. But in this case, removing the powerhead is probably the better idea. Plus as oldboat1 said, I can clean it up when I have it apart.

jasper60103

Commander
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I don't have a garage at home, but there's a machine shop at work where I can fabricate parts, so sometimes I try to do my fixes there. But in this case, removing the powerhead is probably the better idea. Plus as oldboat1 said, I can clean it up when I have it apart.

If I remember correctly, you may need a wrench with an offset to get to one of the bolts.
If you don't have one, you can bend one at your shop.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Install a new seal on bottom of crankshaft and new water tube grommet while the powerhead is off.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Installed the extended parts yesterday. Getting the powerhead off was a PITA. As suggested, I had to bend a wrench to get one of the nuts off. Powerhead still did not want to come off even after everything was disconnected, had to stick a piece of rebar up through the hole where the throttle linkage sits, and tap the PH with a hammer to get it to come loose. Guess that's not too surprising since it had been on there for 30 years. Replaced that gasket since the old one was obviously destroyed, also replaced water pump impeller. Now just need a new prop and I'll be good to go! Thanks for the help guys!