1993 50 HP 2 stroke Evinrude Coil and firing issues

w2much

Lieutenant
Having a heck of a time trying to get this engine to run on both cylinders. First it ran on the top cylinder only even though the bottom cylinder had good spark. Now it is running only on the bottom cylinder even though the top cylinder has good spark. Seems to go back and forth as I have been trying to figure it out over the last couple of days.Both carbs have been soaked and cleaned. I noticed a bit of fuel at the primer on the red lever when used in manual might this be related?

w2much

Lieutenant
It jumps out of the plug boot to the plug. Got to be 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Was broad daylight and did not appear as blue as maybe it should have been but it was bright outside. That I will check with the spark tester tomorrow for a more definative answer.. Why does the problem go from top to bottom cylinder? That is what has me miffed.

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you swap the spark plugs in order to find the problem? I had an yamaha which had the same problem. Couldn't find out why it was sparking outside the cylinder but not inside. Never thought it might be on of the spark plugs. Cost me a day before I discovered one plug was to blame.

w2much

Lieutenant
OK checked the spark. It will jump 3/8 inch but not 7/16. While looking and scratching my head a bulb went off. I noticed that the power pack had been replaced with a newer Sierra Pack. The Sierra pack part # is OPP 513 it says replaces on it that it replaces OMC part # 585261. I looked up the OMC power pack numbers. My motor should have OMC part #0175316 it does not say it is superceded to part # 585261. In the parts listings a 585261 is for 1996 and newer models. The listed part for my motor 0175316 is for years 1992 to 1994. I can not find anything which says the 0585261 pack is compatible . Can anyone offer up assistance here ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope-----585261 is listed for the 93 models.--Electric start that is.----What is your model #

w2much

Lieutenant
Model 1993 VE50TLETB - Thank you. I actually found that both power packs are compatible . I will eliminate this issue for now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What fuel pump is on this motor ?---What are the actual compression values ?----Good compression is not the proper answer here.

w2much

Lieutenant
Here we go,follow me for a laugh or just shake your head. PO told me the carbs were rebuilt. I took off the top carb and it was clean as a whistle inside. At this point the engine was running on the top cylinder only although there was spark to both plugs. I did not remove the bottom carb figuring there was another issue as both carbs had been rebuilt. I assembled the top carb and put it back in place. The motor ran worse, now it was running on the bottom cylinder only. Again spark to both cylinders. WTF. Must be a bad spark or timing or power pack or sheared key or who knows. Coming to wits end I again removed the top carb and the bottom carb this time. The bottom carb had a bunch of something inside. I cleaned it , made sure air and cleaner flowed through all of the orifices on both carbs. I then reinstalled both carbs and stated it up. Again running on only one cylinder, this time only running on the bottom cylinder, spark was good to both cylinders. Depressing, this did not make sense. Had to be the power pack or key or who knows what. Did some electrical test from an older manual . Test showed bad sensor . I come to find this motor does not have a sensor coil as such. Figured I had to miss something so off came the carbs again. First round bottom carb was full of gunk, I did not disassemble thinking the PO did as the top carb was so clean. Second round cleaned and disassembled both carbs and reinstalled. Third time after two frustrating days I realized it was the cover gasket on the top carb had been installed wrong probably by me the first time I disassembled it.. Well it runs fine now and did not cost anything but grey hair.
Now on to the VRO alarm intermittant beep
Thank you all for your input.