1977 Evinrude 115 Remote Control

JoeWall

Cadet
I have a 1977 Evinrdue 115 outboard motor. Currently the remote control has become jammed up and will not move. Finding one has been the hardest thing to do as well. We are working to possibly replace the correct parts. what I am wondering is if there is a way to buy a new aftermarket remote control that will fit the motor? Or if there is a trusted site to replace older boat parts?

Also is there a way to tell whether cables have gone bad or it is the control box?

I attatched some pictures and would love to hear input.

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I would first disconnection the cables from the motor (that's the easier end to do) and see if it frees up. If not disconnect the cables from inside the box. In my opinion it's more likely a cable has frozen then something broken in the box.

Otherwise, I think compatible red-plug control boxes go all the way up to the early 90's so finding a replacement shouldn't be difficult at all.

Strangeleak

Seaman
You didn't mention if this is happening with the engine on or off.

Make sure you're not trying to engage forward/reverse with the engine off, at least not without someone spinning the prop at the same time. If so, the clutch dog may not be lined up with the prop shaft splines.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just a wee correction for the above post.-----------The clutchdog slides on the propshaft splines.---------Propshaft must be turned to so that dogs on clutch slide into dogs on the gears.

Strangeleak

Seaman
Thanks racer, I had the image in my head just couldn't get the wording correct.

Still kind of new to outboards, but don't wanna pass up the opportunity to sling some of my limited knowledge here and there. LOL

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
They are still a lot of new repair parts for your remote control sold from this Forum :)

JoeWall

Cadet
Cables arent the biggest concern. Main thing is the remote control. Rebuild or go new?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would look for a control box from the late 1980's early 1990's------------RED PLUG-----------Much better boxes.

phillnjack2

Ensign
I have a 1995 box and even that will fit your motor, like racer says a much better box.. can get good used ones fairly cheap on fleabay.
A new box is going to cost as much as the engine is worth so count them out.
A proper omc box is what you need, and you can change the handles over easy too from left to right if you want to.