1988 Johnson carburetor

Bpgrin

Cadet
OK, my boat has set up a while. We've worked to get everything back in top notch condition...new hoses included. BUT a question has come up about the carburetor. It's been thoroughly cleaned. But the guys have asked me what attaches to the front of the carburetor? It's wide open. Does something screw onto the front of it? All the diagrams I see, show exactly what mine looks like. Help if you can.

Bpgrin

Cadet
I will learn. So sorry. 1988 Johnson30 HP outboard. I tried to upload pictures, but can't figure out how.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Are you referring to an Air Silencer? A 1988 30hp doesn't have one. Earlier engines did.

Last edited:

Bpgrin

Cadet
Ok. Thank you. I saw several diagrams and they looked the same as mine...but a couple of guys are certain something should be attached.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would guess they saw older versions of your engine lineage. Engine manufacturers make all sorts of changes every model year, sometimes during a model year. That is way a Model Number is so important.

Bpgrin

Cadet
I'm so glad I found this forum. Going on my favorite list!! Very helpful!! Much appreciated!!