1956 Evinrude 3hp ("Duck Twin") Twin questions

Hey, i have just picked up a 1956 evinrude 3hp twin boat motor.. it says duck twin on the back but havent been able to find much info on it.. i put new coils in it and cleaned the points and it runs like a champ..i did remove the impeller and still is very rubberry.. i did a compression test and i am geting 85 om both cylnders... what is bad?? what is like new?? what will it stop running at??.. also on the two fuel mix screws i have messed with them so much how much sould i turn them all way in and then out to get a ballpark... also is there any links to a part book with the part numbers and scematicks.. any abslootly any info on this motor would be awseome because you can never have to much info... one last question.. i have never taken it in the water and i have a 12 foot aluminum boat how fast should this motor get me going and what is the max Hp you can put on a 12ft boat safely....<br /><br />Thanx in advance for any help <br /><br /><br />Dustin

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1956 Evinrude 3hp ("Duck Twin") Twin questions

Felix,<br /><br />Check out my 3 HP project at http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com Sounds like you already know a lot but you might enjoy seeing my project.<br /><br />That motor will push your boat along at 4 or 5 MPH, maybe 6. They were not designed to put your boat up on a plain. These little motors are designed to allow you to get to your fishing spot and back on a nice lazy day. I had mine out this past weekend pushing a boat that is not much bigger than a canoe.

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

85 PSI is about right for these motors. That is what I have with mine. Your motor won't run with anything less than about 65.

Paul Moir

Admiral

To set those little controls on the carburetor, follow Joe Reeves instructions: Click here.<br />85 would be pretty good in my books. I've seen them running on 55psi compression, but that's with my compression tester, using my methods. And probably being at sea-level helps too.<br />There's a few exploded diagrams at the Mastertech 3hp tuneup page but nothing takes the place of a service manual. Consider purchasing one or even just borrowing one from the local library.

Hey,tom thanks for the Great info... i have one other quick question.. what is the proper touqre of the flywheel<br /><br /><br />also i seen the duck twin add on your site, what is diffrent from the duck twin from the just normal 3hp twin??<br /><br /><br />Thanks again for the help.. anymore info on this engine or this motor would be Great.. like you say i can never have to much info<br /><br /><br />Thanx <br /><br /><br />Dustin

Paul Moir

Admiral

I've got that info handy:<br />40-45ft/lbs for the flywheel nut.<br />The difference between a ducktwin and a lightwin is the paint job.<br /><br />Do you have a model number? I don't see a '56 Ducktwin in '56:<br /> '56 Evinrude Catalog.

the serial number is 3020-02334 if there are other numbers u want tell me where to loook and ill tell ya<br /><br /><br />it may be possible i have the wrong year.. im really new at boats<br /><br /><br />Thanx again for all the help<br /><br /><br />Dustin

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, you've got it right. That number checks out as a '56 Ducktwin. I guess they just didn't put it in the catalog for some reason. Sorry about that!

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, you need the J6C. J8 is too hot (unless you're at very high altitude?). Gap is .030"

im at one of the higest allitudes in my state which is MASS, but i will pick up some j6c for sure

Paul Moir

Admiral

You can 'read' the plugs. Run around at full throttle for a few minutes and then shut down the engine as quickly and safely as possible. Take out the spark plugs, and if they're lighter than tan they're too hot.<br /><br />We don't really have any altitude here so I'm not well versed on what steps to take for high altitude running.

one other quick question... i see alot of people change the head gasket.. even though mine has good compression should i change the head gasket??

Paul Moir

Admiral

No there's no need to change it unless you wanted to service something - get a look at the bores, clean the water jackets or something.<br />Back in the bad old days, you had to pull the head to clean off carbon build up. But nowadays with the correct mix (24:1) and using TC-W3 oil, all you ever have to do is to 'decarb' it with decarb spray occasionally. Details of that process are in the Engine FAQ Forum posted by roscoe.<br />Those little 3hp engines are great & reliable little runners. They just tweaked the design up into the eighties when they finally discontinued them (as a 4.5hp at that stage). It's amazing to see these 50 year old engines still putting in a regular day's work.