Static oil leaking, 98 200 Oceanpro

G

I have a 98 200 Ocean Pro that I installed on my boat last year, It runs fine and everything works, but after I shut it down, a couple of days later, I'm getting a drip of XD 30 oil from the lower cowling where it meets the motor leg. (Its settling at the lowest point of the engine)

I proceeded to checked the entire oil supply line from the entrance of the motor, thru the inline fuel filter to the VRO pump, no leaks.

During periods of storage, the oil seems to be puddling in the lower motor pan directly under the carbs, but I can't seem to find the source of the leak.

The VRO pump is located on the port side of the engine (if you're standing behind the motor), but I can't find any traces of oil leaking from the pump in that location.

Is it coming from the carbs? The oil bulb is firm, so it is pressurized, but I have never had this issue with previous VRO equipped OMC's.

Any ideas would help, thanks!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Check the airbox gasket and the reclaim lines from the airbox to the crankcase.

daselbee

Commander
There is no airbox gasket. Look on the stbd side of the air silencer, down at the very bottom, and make sure the drain hose is installed. It runs from a nipple back to the crankcase. Supposed to suck up excess oil from the bottom of the silencer.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Does it smoke heavily on start up??? If so change the cap on oil tank......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
This year my '98 Johnny 150HPV6 developed fuel leaks at the carbs. After the gasoline evaporates, the drips down the midsection look like plain oil.

Tilt your motor up to max trim and pump the primer. Look for leads at the carb bowls. If they are leaking, remove a bowl and see if she is warped. All six of mine warped this season.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If they are leaking, remove a bowl and see if she is warped. All six of mine warped this season.
Interesting....I had 5 of 6 carbs crack (hair line) where the mounting flange mets the carb last winter.

18 years then pop all at once...hummmn

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Different carb design on a 90 degree motor,still plastic less warp problems

G

Excellent Ideas Gentlemen!

Thank you for your help.

Checking the airbox hose drain will be my first look, I don't think the bowls are cracked because I'm not leaking any gas.

(But I did have a buddy who had to change the bowls on his 115 OceanRunners (60 V4s)because they wouldn't idle)

She does smoke a lot on start up, but I've never had an OMC motor (both new and pre-owned) not do that, and like the rest of them, it clears up when the rings expand. My motor settles down into a nice idle too.

As for the Cap on the VRO tank, the whole assembly is brand new, (got a steal in it when an OMC dealer was going out of business), So I doubt very much its that.

Running is not an issue, so the more I think of it, daselbee, may be the right, if not, I'll check everything you guys advise here.

daselbee

Commander
I am going to throw this out there and see if it sticks.
I have NEVER seen your particular issue on a V6 carbed looper, but I have the issue on two V6 DI engines.

I have oil dripping loading up the lower pans, running down the leg, and then onto the floor. Bad oil leak. But there is no LEAK....
I have been all over the front end of the engines, and cannot find any LEAKS.

Now, here is a possibility that is common to both of our engines. Look carefully at the throttle shafts where they pass through the throttle bodies. (The outside of the shaft, not inside the venturi.) I have oil dripping out from those "pass thru" throttle shafts. My air silencer drains are all hooked up.

Here is my theory: The check valve/ recirculation system is the same on both our motors. I think the check valves located in the front half of the crankcase are defective from age, and the natural scavenging of excess oil is not working properly. It is a big job to change the total of 18 (3 groups of 6) check valves, and expensive.

Can you please examine the throttle shafts on your engine and determine if the oil is coming from there?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Different carb design on a 90 degree motor,still plastic less warp problems

This wasn't in the bowl area.

The cracks where on the left side, above the "side" cover, in the radius where the carb mounting flange rolls into the body proper. Found them by spraying carb cleaner in one of the jets. Sprayed out the crack

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have NEVER seen your particular issue on a V6 carbed looper, but I have the issue on two V6 DI engines.
The reason this happens on a DI is the oil that is injected into crankcase is atomized by crankshaft turbulence and is spit back thru the reeds where in condenses on rear of throttle plates and drips down throttle shafts. There was a kit with seals offered at one time..
She does smoke a lot on start up, but I've never had an OMC motor (both new and pre-owned) not do that, and like the rest of them, it clears up when the rings expand.
The rings are always expanded.....check your oil usage failed o-ring on shaft oil side of VRO can cause it to run in a over mixed ratio.Usually your problem is oil tank/VRO related and carbs are filling with oil...

G

That's an interesting point you make Fazt, I do have an new (NOS) OMC VRO pump for that engine I picked up cheap at a dying (OMC) Evinrude dealer, its not eh BRP pump but it is new in box.

But when I meant smoke at start up, its the normal 2 stroke start up, not excessive.

I sincerely hope the leaking is not those check valves in the front of the crank case, Daze, I'll try fuel conditioner or Sea foam to loosen them up if they are.

This motor did sit in my (heated) garage on a stand for about 2 years before I installed it, when I was restoring the boat. But after installing it, she fired right up and ran nice.

I just have oil puddling in the pan under the carbs. I haven't checked the airbox drain yet.

CC.jpeg

G

Well, I think I solved my oil leak, daselbee had the answer (I think)

I took off the Air Silencer and discovered I had XD 30 Collected at the lowest point of the box, but the plastic drain nipple on the airbox was clogged, and the oil could not get into the drain line.

I ran a small drill bit down the nipple and unclogged it, The oil I was seeing, was leaking through the rubber grommet on the lowest carb throat, because there was so much oil trapped in the airbox that could not drain.

Thanks daselbee!

daselbee

Commander
Thanks for posting your resolution. Now come on to Florida and fix my excessive oil leakage on these 2004 225hp DIs I have....:joyous: