Evinrude 110 VRO Water discharge

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently put this 1988 boat in the water for the first time. I am attempting to work out the kinks.

The first time that I started this unit, I noticed this odd stream of water coming out from under the motor and above the drivetrain.

Is this normal? I don't recall seeing this discharge on other motors.

What do you think?

interalian

Commander
No, that's not normal. Misaligned water pipe? Look for water leaking from the motor too.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Agreed not normal. Might be misaligned pipe or hole in pipe or failed base plate gasket or worn sleeve where pipes join.
Id take LU off and run a garden hose on the intake pipe, see if it repeats then

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been told that this unit needs a new power head gasket. Does anyone know how big of a job it is to raise the power head?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to remove that horseshoe cowling at the rear.-----------Then remove 8 bolts and 4 nuts that hold the block to the exhaust housing.--------Also 2 bolts that hold the lower cowling to the block.--------Some wiring and the 2 hoses.--------Good afternoons work.----With the block out of the way thermostat work is easy too.

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You have to remove that horseshoe cowling at the rear.-----------Then remove 8 bolts and 4 nuts that hold the block to the exhaust housing.--------Also 2 bolts that hold the lower cowling to the block.--------Some wiring and the 2 hoses.--------Good afternoons work.----With the block out of the way thermostat work is easy too.

Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad. Other than needing a tool to lift the head off once I get it loose it sounds fairly straight forward. I assume the theromostat kit will also need to be changed at this time. Are there any other gaskets that I should make sure that I have?

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

As I review this problem before getting to dirty on it I have confirmed and checked many items. Come to find out, before this boat was stored the engine was completely rebuilt. It has approximately 10~15 hours on it since.

Couple points.
The hoses that were going from the thermostat to one of the heads was lose. Before, taking this power head off I'll retest it and confirm.

Also, under the shifter linkage I found a bolt hole that clearly is missing the bolt. The BRP Catalog calls it a "PIN, Taper". See the attached picture. Does anyone know what this is for? Does water flow here? (I don't think so but maybe?)

Attachments

• photo258908.JPG
    photo258908.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water does not flow there.---Water does not even come close to that block alignment pin.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I can not see what that picture is trying to show at all.---All I see is mostly black paint !

interalian

Commander
Never seen anything attached to that. Might have been on earlier models, and I mean pre-'79.

ggodwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today I was able to locate a large water tank so I couldn't really inspect the motor while the issue is occurring. It took two seconds to notice the water hoses exiting the thermostat was leaking. The hoses had "zip ties" hold them in place. It was not working at all. Put on new hoses and solid clamps and it all cleared up.