Upgrade 150 on a rebuild

califragh

Cadet
I presently have a VJ150GLEIS 150 Fastrike. I want to rebuild it and push horsepower to the 180- 190 range. I have bought the 175 carbs, and want to bore it 30 over, what else do i need to look at to achieve this range of horsepower. There was some talk in the forums of a stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3 upgrade for these motors. But i seem to have lost the thread. Any help would be appreciated

califragh

Cadet
Compression cold was 90 on each cylinder, I figured boring it would give a bigger displacement and add some horsepower i just did not know how much.
Really interested in stage 1, 2 and 3 upgrades, it was talked about in this forum some time ago, but i lost the thread. I know it was a company in south florida who pordormed it. Any help wold be appreciated, or am i just throwing good money after a bad idea.

califragh

Cadet
Thank you very much, that is the exact article i was looking for.

My boat is a 1991 Javelin 389 FS, I absolutely love this boat, I wouldn't mind upgrading to its big sister the 409 though very hard to find

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Don't know what type of boat you have but mod 2 is all you need,any more for the price you can sell your motor and add the money to be spent on a mod 3 and buy a good used 200...
http://www.dynomitedynamometer.com/...dyno/bass-and-walleye_dyno_hop-up_article.htm

I have a question.... if you do this Mod II to a 175 fast strike and to a 150 fast strike, will you actually end up with the same HP at the end...... or will the modified 175 have 25 more HP? than the modified 150??

bob

califragh

Cadet
Faztbullet, I got with Monty Racing and he is performing the mod II, very excited about this, question is there any site i can visit to beef up my lower unit to handle the extra horses.

Thanks for all of you help

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The lower unit is fine as its the same as used on 225HP...You may be disappointed with performance as your hull is not set up for speed, The windshields act like elevator on aircraft and keep nose down and consoles are to far forward center of gravity to far forward. Removing windshields and install minimum of 8" jackplate and extra prop if going to ski/tube