1969 evinrude 18 hp lean sneezing

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So heres the story....

Was told it was put away running... Did a quick tear down of the carb and cleaned her good. cleaner and compressed air... no kit and i didnt pop out those stupid caps.. she started though but quickly sneezed and died. Opened up the low mixture idle screw and was able to keep it running but barely.. kept trying to sneeze and die on me.

any throttle at all would result in stalling. Now before the carb nazi's hit me with the works lol... I worried my fuel tank setup is hindering it from getting fuel...

Bought brand new primer bulb line and in line fuel filter. I put the filter after the bulb before the connection at the motor. Also, the connector is old and there was some fuel leakage.

I'm thinking fuel delivery issue, plus i noticed that it doesn't look like the original fuel pump that's supposed to be on this motor. I'm thinking original owner tried to change it having the same issue and no luck?

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was it put away 2 years ago or 25 years ago ?------Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more in free air , yes or no?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If the fuel connector is leaking, it will suck air instead of gas. That needs to be repaired, whether it is the immediate problem or not.

Since you called us carb nazis, I won't ask if you inspected the high speed jet (orifice plug) in the bottom of the carb bowl. That is the common cause of fuel starvation in a motor out of storage. But I won't ask.

w2much

Lieutenant
Only regarding your fuel delivery. Gravity feed straight to the carburetor. You can then tell if your problem is the carb or delivery to the carb. Of course fuel delivery means nothing without good spark.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
spark is perfect and strong.... carb nazi wasn't meant to be an insult lol but yes i did hit the bowl jet at the bottom after unscrewing the screw plug that hides it.

i just know my luck and usually its not something simple like re cleaning a carb. Thanks for the reply's.. I will try the gravity tank feed as well as checking the seal on the fuel fitting. If that doesnt do it, Ill r-dissemble the carb and recheck my spark.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Take the filter out of the system at least until you get it running. Use known good fuel.

Sounds like you have leaking connectors on both motors(?). I would just buy another connector when you go out and get a carb kit.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is true I used the same connector for both motors. I will update after i fix it thanks!

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick update.. haven't been able to test run...it's been cold and snowing in nj but i did pop the flywheel off and noticed the points on one side was off and even though they looked clean, I quick cleaned them up and noticed a fair bit of black on my paper.

Also my plugs seemed a little fouled blackish... quick cleaned the carb again.. I'll post after it's starts to warm up and give her another pull

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the thermostat on top of the cylinder head.---They are often missing or stuck open.---A cold motor will show black plugs.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Success! Motor runs like a top now. All I did was play with the speed needle, pop the flywheel off and clean and readjust the points, I cleaned up the two spark plugs that were black and blew out the cylinders with compressed air they look to be oiled up. I think overall it was a combination of dirty card and dirty spark ignition components. Thank you for all your help

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Water tested her today. Ran good but i had to pump the primer bulb like once every 5 minutes to keep her running. I'm suspecting my tank or line setup is wrong. I dont think its the fuel pump because It would run for 5 minutes perfectly... then starve and stall

lindy46

Captain
Did you replace the leaking connector? Is the tank vented? Fuel pump/filter screen clean? If yes to all questions, then the pump is weak.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried it with the tank vented and not.. I think I broke the vent... ordered a new tank to be sure..yes leaking connector has been replaced. Filter is brand new... I'm gunna change its location when my new tank arrives

lindy46

Captain
So you have an inline filter? You realize there is a filter screen built into the fuel pump? That could be clogged also.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I put an inline filter in,.. new tank and line setup worked perfectly on my 7.5 hp 1955 so next time I test this motor will be Friday! If I'm having same issue I'll check the filter in the pump. Thanks again.