1955 7.5 hp tank conversion starts runs rough stalls

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK had a little success today... First off, found out that my new connections are different sizes! ... and the old one absolutely had a bad O ring as someone suggested. SO I also switched the vacuum cap to the other side AND didn't trim any off creating a larger gap and better seal. Now I have to wait for my new correct size fitting, but i gave her a pull with whatever gas was in the carb and she fired right up and ran perfect for 5 seconds lol. Tomorrow I will update when my connections are good to see if I found sweet spot.

If I'm running into the same issues I will try the tapped plate way to deliver pulse to new fuel pump, and I will get you guys those compression readings!

Here is the video of the conversion,...

https://youtu.be/JT-nnCcnTPU

and this is the video of the restore and first pulls

https://youtu.be/HyVNXaSUh48

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Success! Motor seems to be running perfectly, with the exception of the only way I can get it to idle and go up to high-speed is if the high-speed needle is out only 1/8 of a turn. And I mean 1/8 of a turn, anymore it's stalls any less obviously it doesn't get fuel and stalls as well. Once I get her on the water I'll see if I have any issues with the high-speed. Sidenote , wasn't pumping water when I got it, but all of a sudden the impeller seems to have jarred loose and now I'm getting good water flow. I bought a seal kit And a new impeller, after I test it on the water maybe I'll get to work on that. Thank you for all your help.

lindy46

Captain
Glad it's running - 1/8 turn out for the high speed is a little low, but I've had some motors which ran best with the high speed needle just cracked open. Is the tip of the needle worn? Also, is your low speed still open 7 turns? If so, you may want to consider a rebuild kit.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually I thought the low-speed needle was in worse shape but both seem to be OK. A rebuild kit maybe in the motors future but as of right now I'm going to go with it

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
1/8 of a turn? Is the float set correctly? Perhaps the float has absorbed fuel and is heavy? Correct gasket for the float bowl? Sone newer rebuild kits have a gasket that requires an additional gasket/o-ring to seal the main nozzle.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never thought about the float... It looked in perfect shape so i didnt touch it but you never know. I;ll check it out. Thanx for the tip.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got to water test Motor today... barely ran at all with new tank and change of location of inline filter and shorter fuel line after primer bulb. But funny thing happened on the way to the scrap yard... played with high speed needle and she started to purr like a kitten!!

My assumption is the reason it would only run with the needle an 1/8 of a turn out was because of poor tank and line setup. So once I got the right connections and a new tank and better primer bulb and fuel filter location the motor ran great with needle out a full turn!

Now it's jumping out of gear! Lol it's always something.

On to the clutch dog!