1990 60hp Johnson (ex-VRO) fuel filter position

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just replaced the fuel pump (non-VRO conversion) and the in-line fuel filter. Because of the different location of the fuel inlet to the pump, I positioned the filter in the vertical portion of the fuel line. Originally, it was positioned horizontally. After pumping the bulb, the motor starts right up, but only runs a short time then stops. After this happens I have noticed that the fuel level in the filter is not quite full as if the siphon action can't handle the increased diameter of the filter(?). Should the filter be repositioned to a more horizontal position to help the suction flow of the fuel? Or do I have another problem?

Attachments

• photo258349.jpg
    photo258349.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was there something wrong with the VRO pump, yes / no / do not know ??----------Post results of a compression test.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Filter will never stay full and positioning does not matter......

rebars1

The VRO had been disconnected by the previous owner when I bought it in 2008, so I have always used premixed fuel. The boat has not been used for several years other than occasional running on muffs. It finally got to where it would not start at all except for a quick pop or two. The new fuel pump definitely made a big difference, but it still does not keep running.

I used the zip ties that came with the pump for the hose connections.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Try squeezing the primer bulb, if it stays running look for an air leak or a fuel pump issue, but if it sat for several years you may need to clean the carbs.

rebars1

I checked for leaks and found none. However, there is some fuel coming out of the bottom of the carburators' air cover box (the small hose at the bottom is disconnected). Maybe I have a flooding problem with stick needle valves?

I tried squeezing the bulb, but it did not make a difference in keeping the engine running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would start the trouble shooting with a compression test first.-----Then follow that with a spark intensity check.---Spark must jump a gap of 3/8" on all 3 leads with a snap you can hear.

rebars1

Update:
Compression Test (cold) 145, 142, 145 psi.

Fuel is fresh.

The is good fuel flow out of the top carburetor fuel line when cranking the engine

Today I noticed that a lot of fuel is coming out of the vent hole in the lower carburetor, and a little is coming out of the vent hole in the middle carburetor. I guess it is carburetor rebuild time!

rebars1

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs with new floats and needle valves. last week it ran fine (idle on muffs in driveway) with no problems. Today, it started right up and ran (idled, on muffs in the driveway) for awhile then suddenly stopped running. It would not start up again. Tried manually opening the throttles and pumping the fuel bulb, but no start or pop. Did not see or smell excess fuel or signs of flooding. I will try again tomorrow.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Test (measure) spark and check compression, as suggested above. Check temp to make sure it's not overheating -- better to run it in a tank or in the lake for testing water pump. Check kill switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Still sounds rich. What do the plugs look like? Wet, dry, carboned?. What position is the red lever on the primer solenoid?.