1979 75HP Johnson fuel issue

sjoefl01

Seaman
I pump up the fuel line until it stops and the engine cranks fine. It seems to run until the gas in the bowls is used up and then tries to die. If I push the chokes in for about a half second (no longer) it runs good again for about 10 seconds. I can even throw it in gear and get a throttle. It acts like it is running out of gas unless I push the choke every 10 seconds or so. All the gas lines look good. I suspect the fuel pump.
I also don't completely understand the plastic cover over the carb intakes. It has a gasket that looks like somebody was trying to add permatex to seal. What is the purpose of the cover and also the gasket?
I really would appreciate some help with this. I bought this boat as a junker and gradually it is coming to life. WHEN IT IS RUNNING IT SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD. I think Im close.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is referred to as an " air box / silencer ".------There are huge holes in the box for air to come in.-------The gasket is there to prevent leakage of fuel and to make sure leakage goes into the crankcase via the wee hose on the bottom.

sjoefl01

Seaman
That adds up. I had it tilted up for a while when I was working on it and I noticed gas coming from the corner of that box. I took it off and trimmed the motor down and I didn't seem to be losing gas. Now if I can just get it running.

sjoefl01

Seaman
While I am at it I have a question. I have been looking at fuel pumps and I don't see a mechanical attachment to the engine or any electrical wires or motors. How does this device pump fuel?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump operates of the crankcase pulses, sounds like it could be failing, or you have an air leak.

​Try squeezing the primer bulb as it dies, it will act just like a fuel pump, so if it runs better look that direction.