57 evinrude 35 hp starter wiring

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I got everything worked out on the frankenrude but I got the electric start motor bracket and flywheel what's the best way to wire this thing up?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know, that is a 6 Volt starter for a 25-30hp.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here is the original 6V wiring diagram. If you know anything about basic electricity, you should be able to adapt it.

Attachments

• photo258115.jpg
    photo258115.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 0

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for telling me that, will this work for the 35 it was advertised as coming off of a 57 lark 35 hp

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does that matter? The reason I ask is that I have an old tractor ('47 Farmall) which I converted from 6V positive ground to 12V negative ground. No change was needed to the starter, it works fine and spins the right direction.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It will physically fit. Is it powerful enough to crank the 35? Sorry I don't know the answer to that one, never tried it. Lots of people run the 6V starters on 12V. That ought to do it, if the starter doesn't overheat. As I said, I've never tried it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
That 6V starter will work real good on 12V. As said above don't run it to long and overheat it. Those old starters don't recognize + or - ground. Not like the new ones with magnets in them. They were built to turn a certain direction.

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok thank you all I'll try and get it wired up tomorrow I may disassemble the starter and clean the crap out of it, the seller said it sat for 2 years so Itll probably need it. Once I get it wired up I'll write back as to whether or not it'll crank the 35...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
No Title

You need a solenoid, as you probably know -- can wire it up with a starter button (motor on the left in the pic). Recommend just bench testing the starter before installation. You may not need to disassemble, maybe just a little light lube on the bendix shaft to make sure the gear will engage.

Attachments

• photo228173.jpg
    photo228173.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That starter has a feature relegated to ancient history. You can see/inspect the brushes without taking it apart. Simply remove the band from the bottom and take a looksee.

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you all for all the information!! I'll wrap the wiring up tomorrow. A friend brought over a 57 5.5 the he overheated last summer not pumping water but the water pump is good, tube is clear and we flushed all passages with water still not pumping that took up most of my day. I'll let you all know tomorrow

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
uh oh. You have a reputation as an outboard guy. Can run a thread on the 5.5 (have one) -- need to pull the powerhead to work on the water pump, as you probably know.

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've gained a bit of a reputation from my friend and family as the do it all person im remodeling my house my self work on large and small engines and even do wood work, it can be a Nightmare at timesšŸ˜– But thanks to you guys on this forum the outboard part of it is quite a bit easier!! Thank you all!

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It will physically fit. Is it powerful enough to crank the 35? Sorry I don't know the answer to that one, never tried it. Lots of people run the 6V starters on 12V. That ought to do it, if the starter doesn't overheat. As I said, I've never tried it.

I got the wiring all done, I stole the solenoid off my burnt up Mercury, and made the harness from scratch I hooked it up to the battery and it works insanely well! I don't have the lower unit on it right now because I'm resealing it and having trouble getting the fill and drain plugs out so I didn't start it yet but it turns over quite quick! Thanks all again !

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Yes as said an impact driver. Or you can try clamping some locking pliers on to a wide bladed screwdriver.

Last edited:

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Two words, IMPACT DRIVER.
I laughed super hard at this! lol I'm getting the hand style one tomorrow and a wide blade bit there soaking in penetrating oil yesterday and today, I tried a wide blade bit in my impact drill and it just messed up the screw. Need the kind ya hit with a hammer

Fed

Commander
I've found a slow blow with a big hammer works better than a fast hit with a little toy hammer.