Evinrude E140TRLCSA

jyanna

Cadet
My son and I are restoring a bass boat with a Evinrude [FONT=&quot]E140TRLCSA. I need owner manual info but have not found a manual yet. Do you know where I can find one? I did find one for a E140TRLCS. I don't know how the "A" suffix affects the model. would this apply? I also need maintenance info such as gear lube in the lower unit. It looks like oil is mixed with gas. What is the mixture? Wow, this is a lot of questions! Thanks in advance for any help![/FONT]

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Thats a 1980 model. It will use a 50:1 fuel mix ( using a TCW3 outboard two stroke oil). That's near enough 1 pint in 6 gallons.. If you are fortunate enough to live where litres are used it is 20cc per litre.

The gear lube is a high viscosity outboard gear oil ( SAE 80 or 90) For a 140 hp maybe worth considering a high performance oil esp if it is to be worked hard, but don't mix with the ordinary premium type.

OEM manuals ( owners manuals and w'shop manuals) are available from Ken Cook Co. at https://www.outboardbooks.com/

3rd party manuals should be available from iBoats

There is a ( Seloc ??) workshop manual which covers your motor on line at http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html This manual will tell you the oil capacity of the gearcase.

The "A" is a production suffix. It probably has no relevance to you ( there is no other suffix for the year model) but always quote it when ordering parts

interalian

Commander
Before you spend a lot of money, do a compression test. This one should be ~125psi and min/max 10% across the four cylinders. Has it been run recently? If it passes compression, definitely get an original OMC service manual - it's a valuable resource for procedures and specifications. The Seloc scan on boatinfo noted above is a good start for light reading.

Oil capacity is just under a litre. Get good lube, and get the pump attachment for the lube bottle as you MUST fill it from the bottom up. I typically buy the best BRP stuff - it's cheap insurance.

jyanna

Cadet
Took the boat out. It runs but definitely has low power. My guess is that compression is low. I am going to try to decarb. However, given that the decarb is insufficient, what is a low cost option. It looks like replacing the rings would not be that bad. But would that help? We got this motor very cheap. I'm not going to dump a lot of money or time into it.

interalian

Commander
"Low power" could be anything from a waterlogged hull, misadjusted throttle cable, incorrect prop, or an actual power problem with the motor such as a dropped ignition on one cylinder. Time to do some troubleshooting.

interalian

Commander
Forgot to mention something: these crossflow motors are well known for broken rings. If you find low compression on one hole, remove the bypass cover on the side of the block, rotate the motor until you can see the rings then press them with a small screwdriver. If they spring back evenly they may be OK. If they don't, or are missing you have your answer.

And no, you can't just put new rings on worn pistons and hope it'll solve low compression. If the bores check out within factory specs (lucky), you'd need new pistons and rings plus a hone/deglaze of the cylinders.

Check all 4 cylinders have good spark. It should jump 7/16" open air whilst cranking.

If the ancillary components on the motor are good (trim and tilt, electrical), it's worth fixing. The tipping point is when there's a lot of problems, or if it's a salt motor and you break stuff whenever you wrench on it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those numbers sound awfully low, and even if the gauge is out of calibration, the percentage difference between the cylinders great enough to raise concern. Redo the test, make sure to use a fully charged battery, and crank the engine until the gauge doesn't read any higher. If still low it will be time to do some inspection. As mentioned by interalian, pull the bypass cover and inspect the rings and skirt. You might as well pull the heads too

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Others will argue.-----Every one of these crossflow motors will suffer from broken rings eventually.----Seen / have enough of them on hand for rebuilding / parts.

interalian

Commander
Heads off. No need to pull the water covers - just the 10 bolts holding the heads, and a few wire connections to the coils. Easy. Then you can shine a light down the gap around the piston whilst moving it around, and see if you have rings all the way around. Or not. Or if you see dents on the cylinder heads meaning broken ring pieces came through and were beaten between the piston and head before being swept out the exhaust.