1995 50HP Evinrude

Grtrnd1

Cadet
Hello. New to the forum. I have a 1995 50 HP Evinrude. I've known the last 3 owners of this motor and I know of at least 3 times UT has had a rebuilt lower unit put on it. I bought it with the lower unit already out. The gears were chipped and the thrust bearing on the drives haft was completely gone. The bearing housing on the drives haft was chewed up on the shim side. I bought a new bearing housing, thrust bearing , shims and gears. Also the pinion gear was cutting into the pinion bearing. I replaced the pinion bearing and bought new gears. When I replaced everything and bolted everything down you couldn't turn the drives haft by hand. I loosened up the bearing housing bolts and I could turn it. I took the 2 little shims out and it still wouldn't turn. I looked at the exploded views and it shows a thrust washer, a thrust bearing and another thrust washer, shims and the bearing housing. Just for testing purposes I put the thrust bearing on first then the thrust washer, no shims and the bearing cap. The backlash was spot on and I run it for probably 250 miles this past summer. I was worried about it and took it apart to see how it was going and I noticed the thrust bearing is starting to cut a groove into the driveshaft. Not in the side if it but into where the bearing rides. I can't figure out why I can't get it set with 2 washers like the exploded view. Any other ideas. I don't want to destroy these gears. Everything else looks great. They shut our coal mine down so I'm trying to do this on a tight budget. Thank you

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You have the pinion height tool???? Is the LU original or replace as there are some differences in driveshaft lengths.....

Grtrnd1

Cadet
This lower unit is painted white so I'm assuming it's a Johnson. I did cross reference the numbers stamped in the parts and they are the same as a 1995 evinrude. So I'm not sure what else to look at. As far as a shim tool I do not have one. I can't even put the bearing housing on with no shims in it because it will not turn after you tighten down the bearing housing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Something is wrong.----Best visit a shop and have it sorted out.----Gears and bearings are somewhat spendy.

Grtrnd1

Cadet
Yes they are. I've went through this thing 20 times. I've went by the book and exploded views and something is wrong. Just can't figure out what.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I think the cases/gears changed in 86/87 and if it has a older case the 1995 gears wont fit correctly

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Changed in 89 and again 3 years later.----The OP had best find a shop for some help.----Taking it apart 20 times with no improvement tells the story.

Grtrnd1

Cadet
I think I found the problem. This lower unit was purchased from a place in Florida. It was put on about a year later. When it was installed it made 3 runs and was destroyed inside. The owner sold it to me. When I took it apart the gesrs, pinion and thrust bearing were broke. It even ruined the bearing housing. I ordered all new oarts. That's when I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit in the motor that I had an 1/8 inch gap between the bearing housing and the motor housing from bolting up. Long story short, they sent me the wrong bearing cap. The one I need is 435274 and the one I was sent is 338050. Thanks anyway

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If you don't have the pinion height tool you will trash them again.....

Grtrnd1

Cadet
Yeah if you buy the whole tool it's like 500 dollars. I guess they used to do it without the holder and use the shim tool which is around 56 dollars.

Grtrnd1

Cadet
Do you know what shops usually charge to shim it if you take the bearing cap, driveshaft, thrust bearing and thrust washers to them?

Grtrnd1

Cadet
OK thank you faztbullet. I'll order the right bearing housing and let the dealer set up the shimming. Thanks for the help.