Any reason why I shouldn't use this lower unit oil?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This just proves once again that folks know very little about oil and how bearings actually " work " in fine machinery.---The question " what oil or what ratio " always bring a host of different opinions.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The confusion is from the words "Electric Shift". Do they mean the purely Electric Shift? Or, does that also include Hydro-Electric Shift. Evinrude didn't help matters by calling both Selectric. Since TypeC/Precision Blend was the only gear oil marketed by OMC from 1962 till 1973, I guess the OP can't really go wrong using BPR Precision Blend, or a Type C oil that says 'electric shift'. I myself wouldn't be putting Dexron ATF in it, except for flushing.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The confusion is from the words "Electric Shift". Do they mean the purely Electric Shift? Or, does that also include Hydro-Electric Shift. Evinrude didn't help matters by calling both Selectric. Since TypeC/Precision Blend was the only gear oil marketed by OMC from 1962 till 1973, I guess the OP can't really go wrong using BPR Precision Blend, or a Type C oil that says 'electric shift'. I myself wouldn't be putting Dexron ATF in it, except for flushing.

The Johnson service bulletin just posted above pretty much explains it all. As for the Hydro-Electric shift that replaced the spring clutch Electric shift, they (Hydro-Electric) can tolerate 80-90 wt outboard gear oil, but because of the very close clearances in certain parts, the old Type C is a better choice. Needless to say, the subject gets so confusing that it is easier to just say use Premium Blend in all "Electric Shift" motors of either type, and you won't go wrong.

EDIT: I hate to make this more confusing, but beware of some aftermarket oils using the word "Premium" in the name of their regular 80-90 wt outboard gear oil.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Thanks oldboat1 and F_R. I do have one question. What happens if 80-90, Hi-Vis or whatever oil replaced over the years, is put in the "spring clutch electric shift? No shifting? Slipping? Outright failure? I ask because a long time back we had a 1965 90hp gearcase serviced. Hub and spring were replaced. After the repair the unit would, on first acceleration of the day make grinding/slipping sounds. It would be fine for the rest of the day. Never did figure it out and the old man sold the boat and motor next spring. Would wrong oil cause that?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Just consider this: Oil is put in there to prevent friction between two moving parts. The spring clutch consists of a spring which is attracted to the clutch hub when the hub is electrically magnetized. The attracted spring then grabs onto the hub, locking them together and driving the boat. This action depends on friction so they lock up tight and don't slip. The engineers realized that and specified oil of specific friction preventing qualities. It must prevent friction wear, and at the same time allow enough friction so the clutch can lock up. BTW, a similar situation exists in automatic transmissions where clutches are submerged in oil. Thus the related oil qualities. So, to answer your question, yes wrong oil can cause clutch slippage and resulting wear. So can dirty oil, the dirt modifying the friction qualities.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
So the cheapest "type C" fluid I can find (including shipping) is Star brite on amazon (11/quart), it specifically says its for electric shift models. Man that is expensive, thats like Amsoil prices....

Any reason why I shouldn't use the star brite product? Anyone have any super secret leads on cheap type c fluid? And Dexron ATF is out of the question?

clanton

Rear Admiral
I have used Mystic products in car, truck, and motorcycle very good stuff. I would not put the 85/90 in electric shift motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if anybody here has an old Owner's Manual for an electric shift motor? I wonder what they said about optional oils? Fact is, laws say that if a mfr says you have to use their oil, they have to give it to you free. So you can bet your boots they stated some substitute. I remember being personally told by an Evinrude factory engineer that their Type C is similar to Dexron. But I can't prove it in writing. Besides that was 50 years ago.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Here are the lubrication pages from a 1965 90hp Evinrude owners manual. This is of course an 'Electric Shift' motor. Nowhere in the manual does it mention optional oils. I don't think the laws about the "no cast oil" were in effect at the time this engine. Unfortunately I don't have any Hydro-Electric Shift Owners Manuals for info. img601b.jpg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A few pennies for the right oil seems insignificant compared to gearcase parts and ignition parts on the 1970 model 60 hp.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jiimbo, I'm located in West Bend Wisconsin.

It's a bit more than a few pennies racerone, but in the end, you bet I will make sure i use the correct oil. It's not worth the damage that it could cause. I'll bite the bullet and buy the Star brite off of Amazon.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
jimmbo, I think you probably are correct on that date. I am far from being a lawyer (or I'd have money), but I think it is the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act that the requirement is based on. If that is true, then the law was enacted in 1975--yes after Electric shift production ended. I do know that at Hynautic where I retired from, we were not allowed to suggest to customers that they had to use our hydraulic fluid, and had to suggest a substitute if our oil was "not available".

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I went to my dealer and went in the back where the shops service manuals were kept. I was able to find several for the 1968 model year. There was no mention of alternate oils for the Electric shift and I couldn't find anything else listed for the 55hp which introduced the Hydro-Electric in 68

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That law(Magnuson-Moss warranty Act) has caused Ficht owners problems. Those engines will run better and last longer if BRP XD50 or XD100 are used. They exceed the TCW3 rating, but since there is no TCW4 rating, OMC/BRP is forced to say those engine can use TCW3. XD50 and XD100 aren't even TCW3 certified, but since they are BRP oils and BRP engines...
For anyone in Canada, the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act, doesn't apply here

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
About $12/qt., more or less, for the OMC/BRP Premium Blend -- will say on the label "recommended for electric shift lower gear cases used on Evinrude/Johnson Outboards, 1962 to 1972".

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Actually, Sierra has one that touches the right bases -- refers specifically to Type C, Premium Blend, and '62-'72 electric gear cases. That is probably a good bet, and probably cheaper. (If not buying the OEM lube, get one that is equally specific in applications. You must have a shop up there that would be a source, and save shipping.)